1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shocks

Discussion in 'References' started by tallahasseeflminitrucks, Mar 4, 2008.

1. DirtyGSer

DirtyGSer New Member

Oooooh, that seems like even more of a problem, maybe?

Fully compressed the Monroes measure about 12 1/8th inches eye to eye. The stock shocks with an empty bed measure about 13 1/2 eye to eye. Is that enough stroke to have anything in the bed without bottoming them out? 1-3/8ths inch?

I may have to reconsider this.

J

2. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

When you’re measuring the eye to eye distance, check the clearance between the axle and the limit bumper on the frame, (should be near the spring).

3. installater

installater Active Member

DirtyGSer,
    In my post about the monroe 3100's most or all of the trucks where lifted 2''
    Regards
    Brian

4. DirtyGSer

DirtyGSer New Member

Thanks Brian, that makes sense, that would place them 2 inches or so further up in the stroke of the 3100's

I think for me i probably need to deal with my stock shocks until i get around to doing a lift, or grind the eyes and not put much in my bed until i lift it.

Thanks,

J

5. Adam Wheeler

Adam Wheeler Active Member

I believe banzairx7 made a post in the sambar subforum about finding a smaller length monroe shock at 17.875" extended which might be better suited for stock height. Take a look at Monroe part #32207

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
  6. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

I think that KYB, has a shock selection application which you can download, and run on a PC. I haven’t used it in a few years, so not certain on this. But, if I remember correctly, it will allow you to enter the attachment minimum and maximum length, and the mount type, and it spits out the KYB part numbers that will work. then you have to figure out what meets your dampening rate.

7. t_g_farrell

t_g_farrell Active Member

So, looking for stock shock replacements for front and rear of a Carry van. I suspect the rear is the same as the trucks. Are the front struts the same as the trucks or shorter?

8. t_g_farrell

I'm still trying to cross reference the front struts. Looking through the monroe pdf now. Need to make some measurements of the stock struts to be sure.

9. t_g_farrell

I don't really see any bolt on US sourced replacement struts for the van. Closest looks like the 96-97 GEO Tracker front struts but they have no spring perches. Looked at doing a cheap coil over on those struts but with the cheapest struts from rockauto, and some cheap coilover sleeves and springs, I'd be dropping ~$300.00. So the $400.00 including shipping from the Philippines isn't that bad. Maybe if I could use my existing springs or used OEM ones it would be worth it. Long term its worth it cause replacing the shock next time would just be $50.00 for both. Decisions, decisions.