1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shake in front end.

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by b_eastep, Nov 14, 2008.

1. doraville

doraville New Member

I've got the same problem on my '98 Suzuki Carry. The truck had a lift kit with ATV wheels and tires on it when I got it. I'm going to jack it up and check everything for excess play. If I don't find anything worn, I'll try getting it realigned.

Peace,
    Doraville

2. LarryMorris

LarryMorris New Member

Find The Problem?

Did any of you guys find the problem with your Carry's.
    I am experiencing the same thing now that I have put the aluminum wheels and ATV tires on with a 2" lift kit.
    One of the wheels had to have quite a bit of weight added and I am ready to put the old tires & wheels back on. I am noticing that the front left tire is wearing more on the outside but just barely noticeable as of now.
    If it is the tires only then I will put regular street tires on the aluminum wheels this time.

Thanks.
    Larry

3. Dara Graham

Dara Graham New Member

We have NOT found the problem, other than the trucks so NOT shake with the original wheels. Wheel supplier says it is the hubs, and the new alum wheels must be 'drilled' for proper fit, and request we send hub and wheel to them. We have not done so yet. Not sure that is right because it is only SOME of the trucks that we have problems with and one is a Honda-2 are Suzuki. I believe the wheels are mis-manufactured. We'll see

4. b_eastep

b_eastep Member

just finally got a new computer. still have problem. had some mud on my wheels and it drove a lot better. now their clean and it sucks agean. toed it in a little bit and couldnt even drive the damn thing. now im back to square one.

5. RuggedCraig

RuggedCraig New Member

Anyone try a steering damper??
    Once you lift a jeep you can' go without damper..

6. Ran440

Ran440 Member

I had the " Death Wobble ". What would set mine off was hitting a bump. Applying the brakes and slowing down would get it to stop.
    Kept checking for play and finally found play in passenger side ball joint in control arm. Replacement made a huge improvement, but I think there is play in the tie rod ends as well. Have the whole set on order and will be installed soon.

7. RuggedCraig

RuggedCraig New Member

Ran440 how did you make out?? my front end is all good going to try steering damper.

8. Ran440

Ran440 Member

I got the tie rod ends installed and the old one did have play in them even though I couldn't shuck them around. If I grabbed the the tie rod and twisted it, it moved very easily. Out and on the bench they felt sloppy. Now it is firm. Ball joint and tie rod ends made a huge improvement. I did a caveman front end alignment, but I think I don't have quite enough toe.
    Will have to give it a little more. I can drive fast again so very happy.
    BTW I am running oversized 13" steel wheels with 175/70R 13 tires and 2" lift.

9. Ok, basic mechanic skills: The right way to check ball joints, tie rod ends, etc., is with a dial indicator, with a magnetic mount. A helper makes this lots easier.

Jack up one side, just enough to get the tire off the ground. Attach the dial indicator, to the tie rod, and push the tire to one side, to put a side load on the rod end, and zero it, then push/pull to go the opposite direction, and see how much play is in the end. There hound be less than a couple of thousandths of an inch.

10. milmor88

milmor88 Member

Ran440, I have the exact same issue, mine mostly happens at low speed.....if i hit a decent bump....it starts to wobble pretty good if I jerk the wheel to one side or the other it goes away. I've only had the issue at slow speeds (<40km/hr). Where did you get the tie rod ends?