1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setting your ignition timing

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks' started by Mighty Milt, Sep 9, 2008.

1. candyk123

candyk123 Guest

Timing Adjustment and Balancer

Thank you Dan,

That's a great help. Now before I get on with this, I might try it myself--is the recommended sealant available at a regular hardware store?

What do you mean by 'the balancer is internal and gets overlooked sometimes'? Can you tell me more about that? If I just follow these directions, will that solve the balancer problem, or do I need to do more, and does it need to be done while the timing belt cover is disassembled, or can it be worked on at any time?

2. Dan

Dan Member

The balancer is integrated in to the oil pump assembly. it's not attached to the end of the crank like many others. the balancer has to be timed with everything else when the timing belt goes on. to get it back to where it has to be, you'll have to remove the covers, pulleys and belt to get to it. then fish around for the balancer lobe through an access hole in the side of the block. as far as ignition timing goes, after alignment of all of the pulleys, it is as simple as rotating the distributor to the correct degree of advance while using a timing light. there is a port on the trans bell that is scaled and the mark is on the flywheel. i'd have to double check but, i think the timing is somewhere around 6-8 degrees for these.

3. Dan

Dan Member

...specified sealant is just an oil resistant thread sealer. 3-m, loctite, permatex... any will work. Its a tapered pipe thread and shouldn't need any but, i guess its precautionary.