1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sensor on top of Transmission

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by boatman, Sep 19, 2011.

1. boatman

boatman Member

Hey - on my '92 DD51T carry, I was cleaning up a seized starter solenoid, when I brushed against a small, rubber booted sensor on the top of the transmission. it crumbled into dust, leaving 2 very corroded wires hanging out, and a small black cylinder with a spring sticking out of the top of it. The sensor is destroyed - the casing is literally dust. I'm wondering what the heck it is, and how I go about replacing it. It's right on top of the transmission, just behind the bell housing (probably goes into the bell housing - hard to say where that stops and the trannie starts); close beside the starter motor itself.

Any thoughts/ideas/assistance?

thanks-

bg

2. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

It's part of the EL gear safety lock-out.

Give Don a shout out, for the OEM replacement.

3. boatman

boatman Member

Cool - Thanks very much. in the meantime (while I'm waiting for a replacement) should the wires be shorted together or left insulated? I presume that it's simply a switch that allows one to get into extra low. Would it be something that could be left off indefinitely?

My biggest worry is the gaping hole it leaves on top of the transmission - could allow a lot of gunk in there if left open in snowy/rainy conditions.

Don - you know where I can find a replacement?

thanks guys - incredibly useful as usual.

bg

4. ViciousCycles

ViciousCycles New Member

Boatman,
    Did you ever find out about the switch on the trans? Did you find a way to bypass the switch and trans still go into EL. I have been having that problem with my 96 carry.

5. monkeyfuels

monkeyfuels New Member

i believe the same sensor is on a 2001 chevy tracker transfer case tells computer what the transfer case is in, the only place to get those is the chevy dealer