1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sell a Carry, Buy a Sambar?

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by matt167, Oct 7, 2018.

1. matt167

matt167 Active Member

I have had my '92 Carry since june of last year and put about 8,500 km's on it as a DD. Was down for maintenance most of this summer while I enjoyed my 1974 MGB as a DD.. It did not do well in winter last year with Yokohama Y372S all season tires ( 145R12 ). I have some new 14"x5.5" dual bolt pattern wheels and will put on some 155/65/14 Nokian snow tires on it ( more or less stock size in a 14" ). Dual bolt pattern 4x100/4x114.3 so they will basically fit most Kei trucks.. However the weight balance sucks and on a hill I can lay rubber in 3rd gear if I stab the throttle

Does a Sambar have a much better weight balance than the Suzuki? Also are any of the Subaru's 1993 and prior EFI? Carburator works fine but cold starts can get slightly annoying.. For sure I'm staying with a Kei truck. The low loading height makes it so practical for lots of things and the good mpg and go kart like driving is just too cool.

2. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

Buy some bags of sand and ballast the truck you have. Unless there are features like 4wd, hi/low range, and locking differentials you don’t have but want.

I have a fifty/fifty balance on my Daihatsu, until I add the snow plow, and then it’s about 450-pounds light in the back.

First year I mounted the plow, I went to the gravel yard, and we used their scale, to dump 3/4-inch rock in the back until it was back to fifty/fifty.

Last year he gravel pits were closed, so I went to the state scales, after I mounted the plow, and ran the truck across to weigh, the front axle, both axles, and the rear axle. This told me the rear was about 450-lbs lighter than the front. I bought six, eighty pound bags of sand from the lumber yard, and put them in.

I carry chains for all four wheels, but have never needed them. I’m running studs all the way around, and in three years, I’ve never gotten any wheel to spin when the differentials are locked up.

3. matt167

matt167 Active Member

That's kind of where I'm leaning. I put Nokian Hakkapalita R2's on it with the aftermarket wheels and grip has increased a lot as it is.. Instead of grabbing another truck, I think I'm going to sell the MGB and get a Suzuki Alto Works for summer fun car