1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

self appointed Darwin award winner

Discussion in 'Mini Lounge' started by fupabox, Mar 8, 2011.

1. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

Just had one of those auto repair days where I feel either my brain is rebelling or my monkey DNA is taking over.......adding a layer of polyurethane to the engine mounts on my Daihatsu Mira to take some slop out of them...added the poly and thought I should bake them at low temp for a bit to quicken the hardening..turned oven to 550 to heat it up quicker and promptly forgot to turn it down to 150...1/2 hour later the smoke alarms are screaming and I run in cursing my forgetfulness...no real harm to the original rubber other than its a tad softer,but the poly is all burnt all over the baking sheet,the house stinks,and it takes an hour to dig out the crispy poly and 3 to air out the house..I re-poly the mount,put it back in the oven again putting it to 550 for a quick warm up and then leave to take my son home:frustration: as I drop him off my brain decides its time to remind me whats going on,and I race the 24km to my home at 120-140 on side streets (midnight no traffic thank god) expecting the entire house to be in flames,it wasn't but the inside of the oven was...totally destroyed mount,all windows open in the house ,the smell may never leave..oven may be toast,it's frigging freezing inhere...hiding in the bedroom from the burnt rubber stink,but It's coming in here now:frustration::frustration::frustration::frustration:just had to vent before I attempt cleanup again.....any other Darwinian auto related tales of woe??...or am I the only chimp in this jungle:eek:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  2. erixun

erixun Member

Sorry to laught at someone elses misfortune, but that was funny! Cook a ton of bacon, maybe that will get some of the smell covered up... :D

3. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

bacon, mother natures frebreeze :p

4. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

And judging by the weather forcast in your area, not exactly "Let's open up the whole house to let in fresh air!" kind of weather.

5. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

I've never had good luck baking auto parts in the household oven. 9 times out of 10 if something else doesn't go wrong the smell will get you. Better luck next time? ;)

6. zardoz

zardoz Member

Ouch...

Years ago I was given an old yamaha 650 special for my birthday. It needed some work. Long story short.. I was down to replacing fork seals. At the time we lived in an apartment and I was effecting my repairs in the underground, so it was dark.. damp ... generally unpleasant.

Lack of proper tooling... I'm trying to pop the retaining rings out. I'm working a small driver under the edge of the retaining ring and have to pull the fork towards me to obtain the best leverage. Of course the driver slips and I smack myself right above the right eye with the end of the fork! :frustration: Not to be bested by a mere machine I keep at it. I smack myself THREE more times before finishing...

I come upstairs to our apartment and the missus practically FREAKS out! My eyebrow is split and bleeding and apparently I look like I've been mugged lol

So no fupa... you are NOT the only chimp in the jungle ;)

z

7. fupabox

Unfortunately this hasn't been my worst:eek:...years ago fixing front calipers on a friends prelude..they needed a rebuild as she couldn't afford new ones..I removed the calipers and unseized the bleeder screws..the piston was also seized so I went to blow it out of the bore with my home-rigged fitting for injecting compressed air to pop the piston....I forgot the bleeder was open and injected old rusty brake fluid into both eyes at 120psi....no one was home so I crawled on all fours into the house thinking I was gonna die or be blind for sure..(trust me it hurts like hell...and oh yeah wear safely glasses at all times:frustration:)...I rinse my eyes with soap and water..take a few T3s for the agony and call poison control hotline..she asks what brand of brake fluid ?? and suggests I wash out my eyes and take some aspirin...2 hours later I feel recovered enough to continue the brakes...make sure the bleeder is closed..put on goggles cause I'm no longer THAT dumb..pick up the caliper and pump compressed air in again..no brake fluid spray..but when the piston shot out of the bore like a bullet it nearly severed 2 fingers that were in a place they shouldn't have been...took the fingernail completely off 1 and the other was barely hanging....still dented to this day.........

8. Daner

Daner Member

Man that sounds like a ruff day! I know somebody who did close to the same thing only worse. He got something in his eye and found a tube of what he thought was eye drops only it was SUPER GLUE!!! luckily it was only one eye he put it in but it is still messed up to this day.

Don't worry fupa it happens to everyone at one time or another :)

9. zardoz

zardoz Member

Geez fupa

the brake caliper story reminds me of my high school days. My auto shop teacher nearly lost two finger the exact same way... taught me by way of practical demonstration the risks of compressed air ;)

z

10. greg0187

Well i've done a lot of stupid things but this one comes to mind since you mentioned the permanant injury to your fingers. I was helping a co-worker fix his car one day, he was having overheating issues in traffic, found that his electric radiator fan was bad. Several days later he told me he got a new fan installed but it was just the opposite... overheating on the highway but fine in traffic. Puzzled by this i walked out to the parking lot with him and had him start it up. I carefully moved my hand into the small area between the fan and the engine to feel the flow of air and WHAM! The force of the fan sucked my hand right into the blades! Now... for those of you that have done this before know its not that big of a deal but considering he wired the fan in reverse it had now become the equivalent of a giant food processor. I could hear chunks of skin and fingernails chopping around and we both had blood spray all over our clothes and faces. Was taken to the hospital, from the time it happened I had it wrapped in a rag and never once looked to see if all my fingers were there. I was convinced I had lost at least one. got several stiches and splints, most of the skin was missing so its scar tissue now but I still have all my fingers!

11. fupabox

Thanks for the gorystories Z and Greg......maybe someday we can all get together and discover fire:p

12. Stuff99

ow greg!! thats horrible!

13. greg0187

Lol! At least I can laugh about it now! I still remember my mom telling me as she drove me to the hospital when I told her I was sure a finger was missing... SHE said at least I wasnt a girl bc it was ok for a man to have a missing finger. Lol I was gonna post pics but I figured it would be too much! ;)

14. erixun

erixun Member

Shooting crap in your eyes...

I was taking apart the carburetor on a 1972 Honda ST90 in the back yard, cleaning it, and of course not wearing any safety glasses. I found out that the bottom of the float bowl is rounded... you squirt carb/choke cleaner that stuff tends to come right back out! I luckily only shot it in one eye, flushed it for ever and then 10 more minutes for good measure. Thought I was chemically blinded in one eye for sure, that crap hurts... after a day or two of blurry vision it returned to normal. Got a banana? :pop:

15. greg0187

I hate that! seems like whenever I spray anything it always goes for the eye!!!!

16. fupabox

Lol we need a banana icon
    [​IMG]

17. Stuff99

Left turn Clyde!

18. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

I was helping my dad crank over our old 1970's Dodge 5 ton dump truck that has a cracked fuel line so if it sits for too long the carb dries out and it won't start right... so I was dribbling gas into the carb while he was inside cranking. Normally no big deal except for his foot slipped off the gas for a second and closed the flap... making a puddle of gas that proceeded to suck in once he tapped the gas again and cause a MASSIVE fireball that cost me half my beard and most of my eyelashes. Lol good times.

19. blakkmoon

blakkmoon Member

ooo ilike this thread

Needed a good laugh!

fupa --- .she asks what brand of brake fluid ?? :D

Thanks
    now internally reliving sticking my finger in the table saw - luckily just the tip

was on some stop smoking drugs at the time

they really did make me stupider than normal

after that i NEVER took those drugs again
    and never smoked again either

20. zardoz

zardoz Member

Drills and thrills...

Working against the falling sun, I was moving fast to get a couple of new quarter panels on a junker Grand wagoneer I was piecing together. I was drilling the 1/8 holes and the missus was following behind with the rivet gun (my gal used to help me in the shop all the time :) ). Nearing the end... I'm getting careless.

Next thing I know my finger hurts like hell and its stuck to the side of my truck. Seems I snapped the drill bit and ran what was left of it through my finger and into the sheet metal. I back the drill out ( go ahead and say OUCH!!!!) and head upstairs holding pressure on my finger. The wife runs some cold water and I plunge it under as she looks away ( blood makes her feel faint).

Hmm doesn't look too bad.... spoke too soon... here comes the blood lol.

Head to the base hospital, next to no wait and I'm in. The on duty nurse is a Captain. She takes a catheter tip syringe and loads it with surgical soap. Then SHOVES it halfway through the hole from one side and shoots half of the soap through my finger, then proceeds to do it again from the other side!!

All I can say is that this was the ONE occasion I was able to get away with calling an officer just about every name in the book... lol All done, I apologize to the nurse for my language.... smiling she replies... "think nothing of it corporal, I've been called much worse for much less" .

z

21. zardoz

zardoz Member

Hammers and slammers...

Working overtime at the runway maintenance hanger I'm replacing the steering bushings in a runway sweeper. I'm laying under this piece of crap equipment (runway sweepers are hell on earth to keep up and running) with urea formaldehyde deicer dripping in my face... I'm driving the bushings out with a large socket and ballpeen. Of course I'm NOT in a good mood! I'm working carelessly... my thumb slips over the end of the socket.

Yep... I SMASHED it with my hammer. My thumb nail shatters and I break the bone, I hit it good enough that it's trying to go into the 1/2 square drive. Ya gotta be able to guess this hurts a lot... the kind of hurt that makes ya wanna puke.

I get to the base hospital and get looked at... nothing to do but sling it to keep it elevated and take some heavy painkillers. If nothing else... it got me a week off and another week of light duties. Hurt so bad that if the pills wore off before morning... I would wake up not knowing if I should puke or cry... wasn't until years later that the huge black spot grew out from under my thumbnail.

z

22. Ravk

Ravk Member

Remember when you were young and invincible?

I just picked up a smashed pickup and decided to repair the front end damage in the parking lot of my appartment. Jacked up the truck with the crank up jack that came withe the truck. This took a while due to the fact that it was quite rusted (first warning sign). Removed the tire and put it flat under the front bumper and started to remove the bent lower a frame.
    While I was under the truck trying to undo the rusted, jammed and bent parts with a crowbar, the jack breaks.

I was stuck, frame on my chest for what seemed like hours (was 45 min) wheezing out a pitiful help. I was saved by a couple girls walking by who called the local fire dept. In no time I was released from my little prison to the sound of continuous laughter not only from the people who saw the big fire truck, but also from the firewoman who saved me.

From that day on, even with jack stands, I hold my breath when working under a vehicle.

Robert (Monkey #4)

23. erixun

erixun Member

Man jackstands are a must! I know guy here that makes sand rails, great guy, but now in a wheelchair, paralized from the chest down because a vehicle fell on him while working on it.
    And I do remember the younger more invincible years, amazing I am still walking upright with all my fingers and toes, so far. I wouldnt really go as far as to say I am still or ever was sane though:D

24. Stuff99

I nominate my dad... idiot goes down board wells hanging by ladders that are tied off with rope and all kinds of other stupid crap. too bad i gotta make a living or id be there to kick him in the ass each time he even thinks of it!

25. fupabox

Damn ...I'm back on the Darwin list...last Monday around midnight I decided I had to have more coffee creamer if I was gonna pull an all-nighter with my sons Motorcycle...on the way to get creamer (about a 20 min drive) I get coffee and some Timmies ginger molasses cookies (if you've had them you understand the addiction:))..pull out and head down the road at around 65kph..opened coffee in one hand digging for cookie with the other while rounding a bend steering with my knee.......the biggest frigging possum I have ever seen decides to cross my path (honestly he was so big the cops called other cops to come see it ...but I'm getting ahead of myself).....I swerve further into the bend to miss him (using the now available cookie hand) but he speeds up in an un-possumlike manner and I nail him with the left front wheel (which I barely have hold of so it bump steers a tad more to the left) I had to correct back to the right to stay out of the left ditch but the Volvo's 15 year old and slightly sloppy rear steering decides to join the party and it's ditch time anyway.....plowed a nice Volvo sized swath through some trees and a fence and ended up against 2 large cedars...

Airbags didn't deploy?? thank god cause with my luck they would have broke my neck....towtruck and cops show up....laugh at dead monster possum..take photos of same...pull Volvo out...hardly any damage..crack at the base of the windshield..passenger side fender...mirror door dented marker light lenses and some paint (alignment and possible rad as well.snapped trees hitting from underneath..) drove it home but most likely a write off as the repairs are worth more than the car $5-6k......:frustration:....I also pitched the cookies into the forest so there would be no incriminating evidence..kept the coffee:)

26. greg0187

Awe man! Thats not good. WTH? Where the pics of this little critter?

27. fupabox

Seems I was the only one who didn't take photos...:(...considering the size of the bugger I think I should be given an award for saving the earth from this mutant marsupial .

28. downhere

downhere Member

My most recent award winning moment came in January! I own two businesses. One a home building company the second a cabinet shop. I was just doing the finals on a custom home. The client asked if we could supply and install a built in vacuum, so I said yes. I picked the unit up from one of my wholesalers and took it back to my shop. It was a Friday afternoon and 1/2 hr before I had to coach my sons indoor soccer game. In a rush I tilted the large box weighing about a hundred pounds onto the tailgate of the truck and proceeded to slide it between my body and the tailgate. That worked well until one of the staples tore into my arm then stopped with the weight of the box resting on the staple hanging in my arm. I had to lift the box up with my foot then pull it out of my arm with my other hand. This all happened outside the door of my cabinet shop that is full of weapons of mass destruction. No I couldn't cut myself with a saw or shaper it happens on a cardboard box??? My wife calls me a minute later asking me where I am. I then proceed to tell what happened and that I might need to get a stitch or two. Her response is hurry up we have a game! Well a stitch or two turned into ten and I missed the first half of the game. Here are some pics. I have some other greats but don't want to completely hi jack this thread.

Attached Files:

29. fupabox

nice....hijack away..that's what the thread is for:)

30. fallon

fallon New Member

Impact wrench

Friend removing wheels from truck with impact wrench.
    One lug nut sticks inside socket; he tries to remove it from socket with index finger while answering call on cell phone.
    Accidententally bumps trigger on impact and screws lug nut onto finger.

His decision, reverse impact and screw lugnut back off while shock makes finger numb, or suffer the throbbing pain sure to come while medical techs decide what to do, assemble equipment, etc.

Reversing the impact breaks finger but the lug nut is off, and the doctor and nurse at the emergency room only laugh when they leave the room.