1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Searching for a kei truck - offroad utility, no mods intended

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Oh-Kei, Nov 7, 2021.

1. Oh-Kei

Oh-Kei New Member

Hey all, glad I found this forum - still searching the past posts.

I'm determining whether a kei truck is OK for my lanky, creaky, 60 year old, 6' 200 lb. frame. I won't be in it for more than a few minutes at a time. Needing a good tool to haul tools, mulch, etc. around our hilly 5 acres, as well as tow trash cans along a 1/4 mile paved private lane to the main road. No mods intended, I just need a solid tool.

Not to brag ...I can fix anything, but really don't want to. Reliability, condition, parts availability are key. I'm figuring 1997 or older to avoid import hassles and to keep the price down (maybe $2500 CIF, could go higher if needed). I intend to import as time and a trip from SW Ohio to the East coast are not issues.

Manual transmission and 4WD are musts. Low gear is attractive. A/C nice but not necessary.

Subaru Sambar is on my radar but really only because I have a few Subies already. Suzuki Carry is also of interest.

Your input is welcome! I'm all ears - other makes, models, things to be aware of, best sellers/exporters, etc.

TIA,

Ron
    SW Ohio

2. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

If you can find one, get a dump truck, or a pick/tipper, aka Scissor/dump. It is lots easier to work on the engine when you can tip the bed, and take off one panel to have unlimited access to the top of the engine.

Suzukis seem to be most common. And are fairly easy to work on.

Daihatsu is the sister company of Toyota, and has about the same build quality. They were the actual manufacturers of the venerable 18R and 20R series Toyota engines of the 70 and 80s. Mine seems to have the same door and window handles as my old 77-Hilux, plus a lot of familiar things like an identical layout for the heater controls.

Honda is, well Honda. Some parts might interchange, and be available for Honda cars of teh same vintage. They are mid engine.

Subarus are rear engine, and the only mini trucks with 4-cylinder engines.

3. Oh-Kei

Oh-Kei New Member

Jigs-n-fixtures,

Thanks for the reply. Based on this and further research, I'm leaning toward a Carry. I've noted your suggestion about the dump/scissor bed and it's intriguing. I've also begun to look into how difficult bed removal is.

I've also read that the Carry is a bit roomier than others. Looking forward to getting a start on this purchase!

4. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

If it's only going to be used around your property and you don't wish to lift it, one thing you could look into is fitting 23x8x12 ag or ATV tires on the stock rims. I have some of the 8.5" version of THESE on the stock rims as my winter set up in the front (the Deestones run a bit narrower and shorter than Carlisle which actually works out OK). The advantage of the ag style is they have a huge load capacity compared to ATV tires. The downside is that they ride like...well, a tractor tire. Not a problem off road I think but no fun on the road.

Definitely having a dump would be awesome if only for engine access. I don't have a dump but have taken my bed off a couple of times for working on things. On my truck it's something like 21 bolts to undo. The hardest thing is finding the items that they used the bed to anchor things down. On my truck, the ebrake line splitter is mounted on the bed and a couple of wiring tie downs.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your truck hunt.

5. Ohkei Dohkei

Ohkei Dohkei Active Member

I love my Sambar. I'm your size and only 6 years younger.