1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SC Subaru

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by Subaru, Nov 17, 2007.

1. Subaru

Subaru Member

I should report back on my findings.
    I have put few hundred clicks on my KS4 SC with diff lock and EFI.Just look at the key and it starts up.
    What a blast,and getting up to and maintaining highway speed is TOO simple.;)
    Yes Subaru has the least favorable truck to lift up and off road,but being in Canada and having a licensed truck,most of my driving is on road everyday.
    I would recommend to anyone a test drive if given the chance.The difference is like putting a chip into a diesel:D
    I can hardly wait for the snow to arrive to make good use of the diff lock.
    I think the mid engine trucks are definetly needed for off road,and the Sambar is needed for daily driving.
    She is a real head turner,every body loves it,and kids keep giving me the thumbs up.:cool:

2. C3imports

C3imports Member

darn right

I picked up my SC last weekend and after driving many of the brands this truck is what the hype is about. that super charger is just what these liitle trucks need to round them off. It is a OEM silver unit with air and diff lock. It has a appointment with the body shop in a couple weeks for the new (jeep green) coat of lip stick and some rims.

3. Hansk3d

Hansk3d New Member

I have a 1992 Sambar which is EFI Supercharged 4 cyl, poor gasmilage though

4. Subaru

Subaru Member

To me it is not about mileage,it is about the fun I have when buzzing around.As for the EFI,it is nice to look at the key and the darn thing starts up

5. SpikeFiend

SpikeFiend Member

What gas mileage are you getting with the SC Sambar?

6. Hansk3d

Hansk3d New Member

Gas Milage

I am getting right now 7.3 L /100km ( 31 mpg US gallon)

I should be getting 50 mpg. It is getting better I started out at 8.5 l /100km ( 26.5 mpg )

Tomorrow I am getting a new air filter, plugs and have diagnostic done at Japanoid in New Westminster BC

Other than that the Van ir really nice, The right front spring is a bit low.

Have you changed one??

cheers
    Hans

7. teeshka

teeshka Member

mileage

Actually 31 mpg US translates into 37 mpg Imperial gallon, and thats really not that bad for the S/C Sambar. I get 35-36 with mine.

8. MiniBrutes

MiniBrutes Member

Yeah, and you wont get 50MPG unless you are driving downhill with a tailwind. Plus, if you are talking about the van, you likely are full time 4WD and an automatic CVT transmission. Those things, along with more curb weight, the van will generally not do as well as the truck. But, if you bought your vehicle for fuel economy alone, there are many better options for the money.

But, another drawback of the rear engine trucks (Both Honda and Subaru) is that they take quite a bit longer to make heat in the winter time. In fact, all Honda's I have driven wont make heat at idle in -25 degree weather. (Got to try insulating the heater lines and a hotter thermostat I guess. I actually add a small 12V heater to help defrost the glass first thing in the morning. )

But otherwise, they are much more pleasant to drive.... much smoother and more quiet than any mid-engine unit.

9. SpikeFiend

SpikeFiend Member

Does anyone know where this 50mpg came from? I've seen it on almost every website selling these but I haven't read anyone ever getting close to it.

I'm getting close to needing a new car and when I read "4wd mini truck 50 mpg" I thought that it would be a great commuter with good hauling abilities. 35 mpg is still good (I can get that with my car now though), but 50 would be amazing.

Would the super charged EFI get better mpg's than the carb'd models? Given that you don't get too carried away with the extra power!

10. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

my daihatsu non supercharged EFI twin cam will get 40mpg if i keep it around 80kph but i tend to run around 120 and higher sometimes and with the gearing these little motors are wound up pretty tight at those speeds and the MPG drops off proportionately. on a long hiway trip i get about 30-32MPG when i run it hard. but it's still twice the mileage i get from my half ton dodge. i agree there are cars out there that will get better gas mileage than kei class trucks, but you'll have a hard time finding a truck that will beat their real world mileage.

11. MiniBrutes

MiniBrutes Member

You might get 50 if you could drive about 75KMH, with no load, no inclines, and no wind.

But yeah, I think the 50MPG thing is something someone pulled out of their butt, and it stuck. The funny thing is I have seen ads indicating 70mpg.

We advertise 40, because in our experience, most trucks will get high 30's, or low 40's if you baby it around. But yeah, 32-35 is more realistic, and 30 if you like to drive harder. On the highway, I average about 27. (WOT)

12. Hansk3d

Hansk3d New Member

Gas milage

I just had a tune up done airfilter plugs cap and rotor.
    I'll see how that works and let you know.
    I guess 6-7 l/100km is than reasonable for the Sambar. thanks for all the good tips!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Here is another one.
    My van has a " list" on the right front. How costly and how difficult is it to repalce the strut up front?
    cheers
    Hans

13. Igzabier

Igzabier New Member

94 Sambar van, I'm on my first tank of gas, $50 @ $1.50 a liter equals 300km of city driving.

Not outstanding. I'm supercharged with ecvt automatic

14. MiniBrutes

MiniBrutes Member

No they aren't outstanding as you have found out. And yours is probably one of the worst.

Too many shady dealers used to advertise ridiculous mpg ratings. It doesn't take long to realize they are full of crap.

If fuel efficiency is your number 1 reason for buying the van, you bought the wrong vehicle.

However if you want something reasonable on fuel and is ultra cool at the same time, then you have the right machine.

15. SpikeFiend

SpikeFiend Member

They're not outstanding, but they are better than most big @$$ trucks out there.

I think some of the MPG mis-information comes from taking UK/Canadian gallons, which are larger than US gallons. i.e. 40 MPG (UK) = 33 MPG (US)

16. Igzabier

Igzabier New Member

94 Sambar van with supercharger, AC ECVT Automatic

How's my math? Seems off: 330km/33litres@$1.50/litre

10km/l. = 40km/gallon = 25miles/gallon

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  17. zionGREEN

zionGREEN New Member

I'm not really sure because I don't own one. But I just found out recently that Subaru is one of the three top car brands that earned top marks in the Consumer Reports annual auto survey. Over the past year, Ford Motor Co. made the largest gain in the ratings, which are based on road tests and reliability scores. However, Faulty brakes have prompted Subaru of America to halt sales of three flagship 2012 vehicles. Sales of the Subaru ceased after approximately 130 dealership complaints were filed regarding faulty brakes.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2014