1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SC Subaru

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by Subaru, Nov 17, 2007.

1. Subaru

Subaru Member

Looking for ANY feedback good or bad about supercharged Subarus's.
    How about Subaru's in general?

2. Barky

Barky Member

I test drove a supercharged a couple of weeks ago and talked about it a bit in the "Pimped Minitrucks" thread. I liked that it had more leg room, was quiet with the rear engine, and the big back window - made shoulder checks easier beacause there is a gap on the outside of the headrest to the edge of the window which I could see out of.. I would like to find or make storage boxes to go under the bed like some other models of trucks have, but the subaru limits you a bit b/c the spare tire is located on the side. Some initial thoughts anyway.

3. frostback

frostback Member

We get our first supercharged Sambar in a couple of weeks and we will be shipping a second in the next couple of weeks. Both will be available February when my dealership opens doors. Website will be coming online soon as well.

I'll post my impressions after I get some wheel time.

derek@bonsaimotors.ca

4. swampfox

swampfox Member

Sambar

I generally like to be different, and that's where my '91 Sambar fits in. I have had so many people say "WOW look at that", when I open the rear engine bonnet and see that little gleaming EN07 Clover 4 cylinder engine sitting back there. It's the only 4 cylinder of all the kei trucks. This difference has also caused some problems. I guess you notice that the Sambar thread has fewer posts than the others. It's probably because there are fewer Sambars out there due to the fact that it's perceived that parts are not available. Well, that's changing now. You can even find clutch overhaul kits on eBay for them as we speak. Crossroads offers an excellent 2" lift kit for it's unusual suspension system--I have one, and I am running my spare Scion 15" rims (centerbore reamed out) and 185/60R15 tires with only very slight rubbing at extreme lock to lock steering (not necessary to turn that sharply anyway) and no fender cutouts. It'll go anywhere I dare to point it. As for the Supercharger, I guess it would be neat--a novelty; however mine will go close to 70 on the Mississippi roads. That's probably fast enough for a little vehicle like this, but I'm different and would love a supercharger. Good luck with your choice.

5. Subaru

Subaru Member

Is there a year split when the 4cyl was used,or is just on the SC models?

6. frostback

frostback Member

I believe all KS4 models 91 and newer were 4 cylinder. I'm not sure about the earlier models. The supercharged ones are also fuel injected which makes them even more desirable.

7. Colin

Colin Member

All the 660cc Subarus are 4 cylinders. The 550cc are 2 cylinders, I believe.

8. 1Poet

1Poet New Member

Subaru EFI?

I am not quite ready to buy a kei but am interested in the Subaru. Seems I hear a lot about how quiet they are due to the rear engine and that they have EFI on some. Does anyone know what year the EFI began? Does the rear engine pose any real problems with 4x4 on farms or does it help traction?
    My impression is that the Suzuki is a real good truck, but the Subaru is also a good ride.
    I've been reading everyones impressions of all the kei trucks and it sounds like any would be a good choice, just some are better at some things than others. Are there any real negatives on the Subarus other that they are a little odd on lift kits and add-on bumpers? Thanks to all you who contribute to this great site. 1Poet:)

9. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

My understanding is that all brands of Kei trucks went to F.I. in 1999. I presume that the earlier trucks that were supercharged were F.I. also. Incidently, there are some rare forced induction trucks from the other brands as well.

10. 1Poet

1Poet New Member

Subaru EFI?

Didn't Subaru go with EFI earlier than other manufacturers?

11. Colin

Colin Member

Yeah, I think I've seen some 91-92s with EFI. My '90 is carbureted. :(

12. '93 S/c Efi

I just got a '93 S/C with EFI. Haven't had a chance to really drive it, yet....... :D

13. Colin

Colin Member

I want one. Who wants to trade me up? :)

14. Subaru

Subaru Member

This thread started off slow,but in the last month has sure got some feedback.
    Is everyone realizing the benefits of a Subaru:cool:
    Maybe Steve has sparked some interest after choosing it as a rally truck/van.
    I think a 2 wheel drive slammed to the ground with body affects will be the next cool thing:)

15. 1Poet

1Poet New Member

Subaru EFI

Thanks, guys for all the response. As a Texican, I will look to a Texas dealer first.

16. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

Hmm, sounds like I need to develop another excuse to stop by and chat. :D

17. minitruck.ca

minitruck.ca Member

I purchased a load of Subaru Sambar minitrucks the KS4 model. I sold them all, but the one I kept in a week. I have just purchsed more, and should have them here early April. They are great on the Highway easily keeping the speed limit. The cab is larger and very quiet. Took them out back on our acreage. They definetly don't perform as well off road as the Suzuki Carry DD51T or the Daihatsu Hi-Jet. Both those units being mid engine are much more balanced. If you need a truck in Canada or minitruck parts feel free to send e-mail info@minitruck.ca or check our website www.minitruck.ca

18. You're always welcome

Wolfman,

You're always welcome to come by. I saw you driving down 114 in Boyd the other evening as I left work. Just made me smile seeing your little HiJet driving down the road. :D

19. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

Thanx. Yeah. I love my little truck. It's easily my favorite vehicle of the ones that I own. I'm working on getting the F150 running again, so I can get some furniture up to CO for my Brother and Sister in law, and then get it put up for sale. Still eyeing that Mitsu for the EFI, A/C, and bigger cab.

20. xroadsimport

xroadsimport Member

Super Charged: The SC Subaru is the fastest truck out there bottom line. We have had both 1999 and newer and 98 and older. We have some more coming in as well. They run great. The 1999 and newer SC is a real 70 to 80 mph truck. They have both low and high end power increase. All the SC Subarus are EFI. We have had them as old as 1993 and they were EFI. There are not that many of them out there but they are nice.

EFI or not EFI: If the truck is not a SC then the EFI trucks start in 1999. Everything 1998 and older is not EFI.

21. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

I got to take Jason's 93 SC Sambar for a drive. That little truck is WAAY too much fun!!! I'd get tickets in one of those.

22. Subaru

Subaru Member

I have personally seen 1991 SC with carb or EFI--no reasoning at all.:frustration:

just ordered a 91 SC---let the good times roll baby:cool:

23. Spdracr

Spdracr New Member

I have a 99 SC

It will run rings around my other minitrucks. Very fast. But the thing I can't figure out is it is supercharged which would make me think that it would have a SC on the back. It doesn't. It has a TC on the back. Maybe that has something to do with the all time four wheel drive. I don't know. Anybody have any ideas?

24. steve_nagoya

steve_nagoya Member

Japan Car Export's mini truck is the Subaru Sambar SC automatic. I picked this one because its got more power and its an auto with a/c. And, no, its not for sale...well, for the right price it could be :)

25. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

Is this one the ECVT automatic?

26. minitruck.ca

minitruck.ca Member

We had a load of Subaru Sambar at www.minitruck.ca They sold as fast as we could post them. I sure like them on the highway. Good thing I bought more!!

27. steve_nagoya

steve_nagoya Member

Yes it is. Nice and smooth...

28. xroadsimport

xroadsimport Member

I have a 2000 Subaru Super Charged in rought. It should be here next week early. It is very nice! It is for sale as well.

29. Ovrzrks

Ovrzrks New Member

I have an EN07 Supercharged MPFI engine and five speed transaxle that I am installing in a light weight 1927 Track T Roadster, but I need some help with the wiring harness. Anybody know of a source for a repair manual and/or wiring diagram for any of the Subaru Sanbar engines?

By the way I also have a 700 lbs / 135 HP Kawasaki road race car and a competition Rockcrawler powered by a Honda CBR1000RR superbike motor.

30. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

I won't dispute the fact that both the Suzuki and Daihatsu have dual range transfer case that would give them a advantage over the Sambar but I take exception to the "are much more balanced" than the Sambar. As a matter of fact the Sambar is the best balanced truck in the Kei class. It is to quote from my Japanese Export Certificate: 51.3 % front / 48.7% rear weight balance broken down as follows: 860 lbs on the front axle and 815 lbs on the rear axle for a total unit weight of 1675 lbs. I fail to see how the Suzuki or Diahatsu could be more balanced than this considering that the only thing out back is the rear axle.