1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Saw First Mini on Road

Discussion in 'Mini Truck Spottings' started by lucasj154, Apr 25, 2009.

1. lucasj154

lucasj154 Member

Hi everybody- im planning to gt one of these as a first truck, my friend says no but i prefer to get somthing unique (like ford ranger gets 14 mpg, and i see them everywhere so its boring) anyways,

I saw my first live mini (other than at a parade once) driving on Highway #1 yesterday (april 25, friday) at about 2:00, not sure if it was on the highway or next to it. Anyone know who this is :) im curious as to where he got it, locally or imported- and nice to know somone local has one, even if these are rare to see here.

Oh, it was near abbotsford- mt.lehman exit 83 i think, or he would have passed it. Anyone know if it was them?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  2. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

3. lucasj154

lucasj154 Member

?? oh, im just asking who it was i saw, sorry about the mix up- getting my own is a whole nother adventure- im just asking if anyone was driving by me ysesterday! :D

4. getabitlit

getabitlit Member

Hey Lucasj154,

You may have seen me or one of my buddies who have one. there more and more of us around. I have a couple for sale right now if you want to take them for a test drive.

Send me a private message on this form and I'll give you my phone number etc.

Good choice on a Mini truck over a Ranger!!!

Cheers

5. lucasj154

lucasj154 Member

hey, nice to know somone local drives them, any tips for the freeways though?
    And im not yet able to buy a truck- still have to get the testing done with- but i will remember to ask you when i can!

Ps: other than 14 vs 30+ mpg and looks, im not sure about ford ranger vs a sambar (type i want)
    --can somone who has owned a ranger compare them to the mini?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  6. getabitlit

getabitlit Member

Hey Lucas,

I'm not sure about the Ranger comparison, but if your main purpose of the Mini Truck is highway driving/commuting make sure you buy a 5 speed. A few manufacturers make 5 speeds with an ultra low first gear such as Suzuki, Daihatsu has 5 speeds with a hi/low option (theses are rare, most are 4 speed if they have a transfer case.)

As for the Sambar, there not as common as the Suzuki's, Honda's, Mitz and Daihatsu's, but I'm sure you'll be able to find one.

Cheers,

7. confuzed

confuzed Member

Are you saying sambars are not as common as the rest? I have one and the dealer I bought from gets and equal amount suzukis and sambars mine is a 5 speed with the additional low gear but sorry no from bc alberta here

8. getabitlit

getabitlit Member

Yeah, I know one guy with a Sambar in the area, Suzuki's are still the most common up here. I have a Hijet that's been bomb proof so far.

9. larryb

larryb New Member

i have a 96 sabar s/c it's the best one on the market if you ask me.

10. lucasj154

lucasj154 Member

Supercharged would be cool, i hear only good things about it- but im afraid the newest year for us to import is 1994 now? But please, i'm intrested in the freeway/highway driving and supercharged models- how have you guys found it around here? And i guess the drivethrus must be a pita- although i saw one guy with a garbage wand claw thing- that was hillarious. :D

11. confuzed

confuzed Member

Where are you getabitlit? I have two dealers near me one seems to deal in equal sambars and suzukis other has had some (can't spell)diatshius and sells more vans I tried a Suzuki well sat in it lol I'm 6'1" long in the leg found the sambar more comfortable was not into driving with my knees on the dash lol.

12. getabitlit

getabitlit Member

Hi Confuzud,

I live near Vancouver B.C

13. lucasj154

lucasj154 Member

Hey! I'm in abbotsford, 1 hour away :D So i might have seen you then. Is there anyone who knows about the ford ranger, anything at all major different from the mini? Anythig at all.

14. getabitlit

getabitlit Member

Hi Lucas,

All I can say about the comparison between the Ranger and Mini is come by and take a mini for a drive and you'll see the differences right away, there are a lot!!!! Gas consumption, versatility, size etc.....

Josh

15. lucasj154

lucasj154 Member

Cool, i want one- but finding the Right one is the difficulty (with 5 speeds) so far there is a carry i like with locking axel and diff, vs a sambar that has only diff.

I would like the a/c and supercharger- is it possible to aftermarket these? I have my thoughts about how to get-r-done.

And for that last post... where should i go to buy/try one out when i do buy one??

16. getabitlit

getabitlit Member

Hey Lucas,

Have you found a truck yet, we're always looking for more guys around here to go wheeling on the weekends. I live in Mission and we just got another container of trucks in.

Cheers

17. lucasj154

lucasj154 Member

Not yet, i actually dont have the full amount to buy the ones I want anyways :) But i'm working all summer to get there.

What do you guys think, all of the ones ive considered are just normal 5-speeds, thats a given in my book- aside from other optional things like locks and A/C (one has a stereo) etc..... What model (in 5 speed) with nothing extra is the "Best"? Just brand wise i guess....

18. confuzed

confuzed Member

Going to be in Coquitlam in October dad turns 80 if there weren't so many hils :eek::frustration: between Alberta and the mainland I'd drive it out.But i think it might take a week of hard driving to make it lol lots of stretch stops