1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sambar won't shift into 3rd gear

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by Enoc Cantero, Jan 5, 2022.

1. Enoc Cantero

Enoc Cantero New Member

Hey fellas,

Picked my truck up from the port a couple weeks ago and noticed the truck wouldn't shift into third gear. Shifts into every other gear just fine but when I try to shift into third gear it's as though there is a wall that is keeping the shifter from going forward into third. I already drained tyranny fluid and swapped with Redline GL-4 and I also installed new bushings in the shifter linkage since both the stock ones were missing. I assume they completely disintegrated over the years since I found pieces of the OEM ones lying inside the shifter boot.

Any idea what can be stopping me from shifting into third?

2. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

Sounds to me like the 3rd gear synchro may be toast. If that is indeed the case, your only real recourse would be to change the transmission or find a used donor, as the synchros have been discontinued for quite a while now.

3. cop on my back

cop on my back Active Member

Check to see if the clips holding the shifter cables on the bracket on the transmission side are there. Not the cable ends, but the outer part of the cable. They are held in with a curved, horseshoe shaped spring clip.