1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sambar Truck Spark Plugs?

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by George Capriola, Jan 14, 2023.

1. George Capriola

George Capriola New Member

I just got my 1996 Sambar Truck delivered from Japan. I've been driving it around the neighborhood while the paperwork for the title & registration goes through. It runs really bad until it warms up, and seems to have a high rpm high load miss as well. Really bad on hills! I'm going to change the oil & filter, air & fuel filters, and new spark plugs & wires. Any recommendations for good sources for parts? Also, what brand & type spark plugs work best?
    Many Thanks, George.

2. Smollpp69

Smollpp69 Member

I got an extra 6 months out of my rotor and cap by just taking some emery cloth and knocking off all the corrosion. I also dunked in some NGK iridium plugs because the copper ones supposedly only have a life of 7,000 km or something. Not really a fan of replacing by spark plugs every 2 months. Those ngks should be good for life of the truck going forward. Somebody on the forum has a giant Google doc of a lot of parts with cross compatibly and I would highly recommend sourcing everything you possibly can from your local parts store.

3. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

The OEM plugs are NGK BKR5E-11 for the Carbed models, and NGK BKR6E-11 for the Supercharged models. I generally stick to those as they are readily available here and are cheap. Some people use the BKR5EIX-11 or BKR6EIX-11 which are the iridium versions.

The standard plug change interval is 10,000km for the Sambar.

4. GeoJoe

GeoJoe Member

This is the doc you referenced - and I've spent a lot of time here. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...EAaKd6tTgOhHdlgUGOQIc_ojwo/edit#gid=181960930

OP - I had similar issues. Changed spark plugs and in the process noticed one of my spark plug wires had some of the metal seperating from the wire housing. I fixed that and it's running strong.

For the parts, I ended up creating a new Amazon.jp account as they had decent prices and the fastest shipping.
    https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/gp/product/B0086T3BIK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Smollpp69 likes this.
  5. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

Hah, I did not notice that they mentioned the sheet. That sheet is the product of nearly 6 years of my research and it is constantly updated with new information as I look up parts for people.

Lgboro and Smollpp69 like this.
  6. udidwht

udidwht Member

In the event the alternator needs replacing in a 1990 Smabar Superchaged what are the options?

Anyone rebuild them locally in the states?

7. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

Any competent alternator/starter rebuild shop should be able to do them, assuming there is no physical damage inside. They use standard "off-the-shelf" regulators and bearings, everything else is just labor. Take a look in your local "yellow pages" and I am sure you will find someone local to you.

udidwht likes this.