1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sambar Titled and Tagged in Texas

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Bobacuda, May 15, 2019.

1. Bobacuda

Bobacuda Member

I have put off talking about this until I had numbers and more info. I first started considering importing or purchasing a Sambar last May. After looking as the prices of vehicles already imported and those at the Japanese auctions, I took the plunge to import one. After a lot of research, I signed up with Pacific Coast Auto in September. They recommended Payline for money transfers and Davidson and Sons as the (import) Customs Brokers. I would highly recommend any of the three - quick responses to my dumb questions and never lost patience with me. They made the process fairly painless.

After missing on quite a few bids, I finally got a 1990 showing about 43,600 km, AC, Grade 3 truck. First of all, it is in much better condition than the Grade 3's I have seen online. The seats aren't torn, it was recently tuned up and the oil was changed. The timing belt, water pump and seals were done about 4,000 km ago. Tires are good. There is some slight surface rust, but nothing I can't take care of this summer.

So, what did this cost? Know that going through a Japanese export firm, everything will be in JPY, which I am converting to USD (current rate): vehicle - $576, PCA fee - $913, inland transport - $146, shipping insurance - $73, shipping to Freeport (TX) - $797, shipper charge to take the truck off the boat - $96, Fed taxes - $456, all other fees covered by Davidson and their fee - $450, Texas title, registration and taxes - $140. Total cost = $3,647.

I got lucky. I have very little maintenance to do (brakes - front rotors are chewed up).

Farm Bureau was the only folks I talked with willing to insure it - $148 for 6 months.
    upload_2019-5-15_15-7-45.png upload_2019-5-15_15-8-26.png

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    punimog likes this.
  2. HowardNut

HowardNut New Member

Xembongdahd

3. S.Hiro

S.Hiro Member

Hello There,
    is it possible to introduce me your Broker please, I am a exporter and looking for a good one, I have plan to re-build 25 years older trucks into Suzuki Super X model of Extended Cabin like Daihatsu Jumbo,I do Convert to LHD too, hope to hear from any one,
    thanks

4. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

Welcome to the club! I did not realize that PCA charged such high fees, but at least the truck looks worth it. Is it registered as a normal Passenger or Combination vehicle? Or as a "Medium Speed Vehicle"? Mine was registered as a regular Passenger vehicle, and it is just on my normal Amica auto insurance policy with the rest of my vehicles.

5. Bobacuda

Bobacuda Member

Mine is registered as a “regular” truck here in Texas. It is licensed and tagged for the road. My normal insurance carrier (Germania) could/would not cover it, but the Farm Bureau did. After comparing other companies like PCA, I thought their fee was fair and their customer service was outstanding.

I have been very pleased with the overall condition. The AC needs a charge, but it is still holding some pressure - just waiting on a friend to stop by pump it out and recharge it. The timing belt & water pump were changed about 4,000 km ago and it was tuned up and oil changed about 1000 km ago. Based on the title and service stickers, previous owner was putting about 50 miles a month on it since 2013. Some slight surface rust, but for the price, no problem. I think I got lucky.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    Ohkei Dohkei and rkrenicki like this.