1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sambar speedo cable reattachment

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by Chewy123@shaw.ca, Oct 30, 2009.

1. So I pulled my gauge cluster to get at a light and now putting the speedo cable back on as it goes back in is a nightmare. I've reached up through and behind and managed to get 2 fingers on it to guide it, but I'll be damned if I can apply the pressure to get the thing to actually pop in place...there has to be another way... any ideas? btw, my steering wheel doesn't tilt.

2. ukmicro

ukmicro Member

Await your success with baited breath, got to do mine tomorrow, also fitting the converter from KPH to MPH:eek:

3. Got it. What a pain in the ass. you have to reach up from beneath to the left and below the steering wheel and using your hand up in behind the dash you have to guide the speedo cable by feel as you push the cluster back in. I honestly don't understand how there is no other way, but from what I could see this was the only route.

Good luck UKmicro, and may the stuffy types be nowhere nearby as you say things you could swear you've never head before.

4. ukmicro

ukmicro Member

Gave up on the idea today, need to be in a better frame of mind, might just unbolt the dash completely:eek: can't even get my big hands behind to release the speedo cable to take it out. Head torch for the time being if I use it after dark.

5. Baldy08

Baldy08 New Member

I need to refit mine... I've managed to get my hand up from the right hand side, above the accelerator pedal, however can't seem to guide the cable on, as I can't keep a firm grip.

Two man job I think!

6. I reached up on the left side of the column, there's a little port hole on the side and I managed to contort myself enough to push it on. I had bruises.

7. Reese Allen

Reese Allen Member

10 year bump. I ran into this issue today. I managed to get the cable back on by reaching with my left arm up behind the clutch pedal. It was helpful to first push the speedo cable back as far as it would go and try to center it up inside the hole it passes through. Then I inserted the gauge cluster to its normal installed position. Finally, I got down and reached up behind the dash and was able to wiggle the cable until I felt it pop into place. What a pain.

8. Ohkei Dohkei

Ohkei Dohkei Active Member

Glad you were able to go where no man has gone before!

Limestone likes this.