1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sambar Newb here..

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Jean M Mistrot, Sep 2, 2020.

1. Jean M Mistrot

Jean M Mistrot New Member

Greetings,

Jean here. Excited to tap the minitruck hive brain! :) I just imported 1998 Subaru Sambar Kei Truck into BC Canada and am working on getting compliant. I got my DOT tires, installed some running lights and side blinkers on the back and am now working on the DOT headlights and DRL. I have the headlights lights fully disassembled and am trying to figure out my next steps. Not sure if I should put a sealed LED unit with integrated DRL and blinkers in there and fill in the gaps or try and cut a hole in the lens and slap in a DOT lens and install separate DRL lights in the bumper... The latter seems more flexible but having trouble finding a lens.. anyway see you in the forums!

2. SAITCHO

SAITCHO Active Member

Could you not re-wire your low beam to be always on when the ignition is turned on?

3. Adam Wheeler

Adam Wheeler Active Member

My truck has a Hamsar Model #70-987 DRL module installed on mine. It's tapped into the parking lamp housing with the turn signals. The single beam in there comes on when the truck is on.

Pretty sure they are available at any Canadian Tire.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
  4. Ohkei Dohkei

Ohkei Dohkei Active Member

Welcome!

5. Jean M Mistrot

The issue was with the lens itself.. it is etched to aim light, regardless of the source toward oncoming drivers..and if ain't got DOT on it no go here in BC Canada.. in the end I cut out a 4x6 hole in andthe lens and installed a shaved down sealed LED unit by caulking it to the internal reflector. This let Ime aim the beam as well. This worked but I had to install a couple of relays to handle the new LEDs because of the ground switching for the original high/low beams. As the sealed LED unit also incl a DRL I went ahead and installed a little DRL driver unit and hooked it up to the lighter circuit which gets power when the key in the ignition is turned to standby. All and all it worked out pretty well but for accidentally wiggling loose my speedometer when I had the dash open.. but who needs that anyway? ;). IMG_20200914_154529__01__01.jpg
    Happy to answer any questions about how why etc?

6. Jean M Mistrot

7. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

I’d probably paint the old lenses white to match the body. but good work.

8. Jean M Mistrot

Thanks! I thought about painting them black but in the end I thought they looked pretty good clear and at first glance not as noticeably Frankensteined so I left em.. probably will need to drill some small holes for drainage or permanently seal the lens to the LED housing with some silicone..