1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sambar KS4 oil change, compression test and coolant system questions

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by PhilM, Jul 7, 2016.

1. PhilM

PhilM Member

Hi I was thinking it could be either, Ive read too much fuel pressure can force past the needle valve as well. I am working on sourcing a replacement used carb from Japan, figuring if the replacement doesnt work directly, between the two hopefully I can make a working unit.

I also discovered the radiator leaks. just how do you remove the radiator?

2. Ronin

Ronin Active Member

This might help:

[​IMG]

Re: carb: STP Fuel System Cleaner (teh expensive one) can work wonders, worth a try. Also removing the fuel line from the carb and shooting some cleaner directly in.

3. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Active Member

May not be a typo. That type carb usually needs a very low pressure to work properly and 4 Lbs is way too much.

Fred

4. PhilM

PhilM Member

Hi Roni thanks for the diagram, interesting it doesn't show the reservoir tank where I fill it, it is just behind the radiator.

Hi Fred, no I agree it probably is less than 4 psi, I also have a Subaru 360 and to get consistant fuel delivery we add an electric fuel pump and a regulator, I used this one and I ordered one to try on the Sambar, its adjustable from 1 to 6 psi.

Mr. Gasket 9710 Fuel Regulator
    https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Gasket-97...r=1-1&keywords=Mr.+Gasket+9710+Fuel+Regulator

Thanks for the help, Ill be giving the regulator and potentially a replacement carb a try, I have one coming from Japan and will try to pull the radiator afterwards to have repaired over the winter.

~! Phil

5. PhilM

PhilM Member

Update - So I managed to get a used carb from Japan and I installed both it and the regulator set to 2 psi. The engine now at least runs and has power to move on its own, but only for a while. It is still billowing out white smoke which after changing the carbs I am wondering if the coolant is coming in from the intake manifold as saw there is coolant running through the carb body and into the intake manifold. For that matter it could even be the gasket between the carb and the manifold. I saw it had RTV residue on it but was not stuck on.

As for my leaking radiator, any tips on how you pull that out would be apprenticed. Sure looks to me like all the steering/tie rod crap is in the way.

6. Ronin

Ronin Active Member

Did you change the carb gasket too?

7. PhilM

PhilM Member

I did but with the used one that came with the used carb. I've ordered a service manual hopefully from it I can dive into it and make heads and tails of it.

Phil

8. mike k

mike k New Member

How did you figure that out? My plate says M-KT6.
    KT6-058915
    690 KT6F33E

Thanks in advance!

9. SpikeFiend

SpikeFiend Member

I'm not sure entirely where I got that from, but I'm going to guess that yours is a 1988 model made in July. Probably with the 550cc engine. Based on spare parts from ebay.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/SUBARU-SAMBA...ash=item4d5216b8b1:g:HtIAAOSwEzxYdwbL&vxp=mtr

My VIN decoder only covers KS4/KV4 models 1990 and up (to probably around 1996).