1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SAMBAR is it dead?

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by slayshit, Nov 6, 2008.

1. slayshit

slayshit New Member

hello everyone, my minitruck was doing awesome until today I was driving home (I live 12 miles outside town) and when I was just about home I heard something break loose and it seemed to go under the cab(heard something bouncing underneath, then I started getting this grinding noise if I pushed on the gas and it was running REALLY rough ad then when I pulled off to the side of the road to check it out it died and was difficult to start again , i finally got it started by feathering the gas and got it down the last road to my house but it is running super crappy now and wont even start unless I hold the gas down help please

2. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Well, did you look under the truck to see if something is missing and/or damaged? Did you run over something or did something fall off?

3. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

Like maybe the front drive shaft came out?
    You need to do a through inspection and if possible get back to where
    you had the problem to see what is on the road [if anything].

4. Subaru

Subaru Member

I'd say you ran over a gremlin:D

Carb or EFI?

5. slayshit

slayshit New Member

hello I hope i didnt run over a gremlin cause I'll be missing all sorts of stuff but really I didnt run over anything just slowing down to go down a hill before bridge (slippery) and there was a semi behind me so I couldent stop I looked underneath checked oil, belts, ac condenser everything is good I tried to fire it this morning and it surged twice (idling) and then died thanks for your guys help

6. slayshit

slayshit New Member

EFI it a supercharged 4 cyl subaru sambar with 5 spd and ex low gear it will just barely idle and it surges today because its warm out I can hear a ticking on the inside sounds like something spinning and barely nicking something else WHAT SHOULD I DO if i take it to a shop it will cost a fortune, a friend said they have a s/c van I could use parts from I need this vehicle for my new business.....

7. rayallen

rayallen Member

check the timing chain. ray allen

8. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

Good thought Ray but the EN07 in the Sambar's have a belt and when they go they usually break and take the valves with them and stop instantly.

Slayshit:
    So two things: 1. Did you go back to the spot on the road where this happened to see if anything is lying there?
    2. Is there anything leaking or dripping from anywhere on the vehicle
    Front diff, transaxle, driveshaft ends, oil pan, etc

Pull the coil wire and have someone turn it over in short bursts [so you don't fry the starter], does it still make the noise when doing this?
    Get a flashlight and crawl under the back of the truck [just in front of the rear wheel] and look close where the axles go into the transaxle for any holes in the casing.
    Hopefully you don't find this.

The other pictures are of the S/C, in the picture looking down on the engine it is on the right side in front of the alternator. As best you can check to make sure there are no holes in the casing. If it self destructed it would probably make a hole in the side. When you start it up you could probably here air rushing at that location

Attached Files:

9. slayshit

slayshit New Member

Just an update for everyone... I have torn my engine apart myself to discover that the timing belt has slipped (which means my sambar is NOT dead andd hopefully not injured) I have removed the valve cover and cranked engine manually all rocker arms move fine and I can hear compresssion I noticed that the 2 dots one on each sprocket are not in line (one is at 10 o'clock and ones at 3 o'clock my truck will idle "just barely" so it cant be off that bad anyone changed there belts on a supercharged 90 subaru sambar or have a belt slip?, how do the dots line up normally? thanks guys

10. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

11. slayshit

slayshit New Member

I must be braindead I didnt see those the first time I went and looked at my truck I will be back....

12. slayshit

slayshit New Member

Just an update for everyone .. the timing was bang on and the distributor cap looked wiped right out so I replaced bolted it all back up and same problem.... fired up with the loud ticking and surging and wouldent stay running unless I was on the throttle I am totally stumped now..

13. slayshit

slayshit New Member

So I have no piston on the number one cylinder and compression is low on the second cylinder...so the Sambar is dead...

14. slayshit

slayshit New Member

soo anybody know where to get a new sc subaru sambar engine??

15. Subaru

Subaru Member

I have a 2wd SC with ECVT for sale,but unless your from Canada,shipping would be a killer:eek:

16. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

Call "Engine World USA" in Houston,Tx. 713-863 9195 They should be able to get a engine. Might take a litttle time, they will order it with a load of other engines and trans. I have been to there shop and seen all the engines and trans. they have. Havnt heard anything bad about them. They deal with all makes of Japanese vehicles.

17. slayshit

slayshit New Member

sorry for the confusion you guys, I am located in British Columbia, Canada, thanks alot for your help though

18. slayshit

slayshit New Member

does it seem weird to anyone else that I have one piston disconnected from the crankshaft and it still runs?? I have heard this should not be happening...?

19. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

Not really, as long as the break in the connecting rod was near the bottom it would just leave the piston + rod hanging
    and the lower end would just spin around aimlessly :D
    If the piece left on the crank was long enough it would beat a hole in the block or oil pan though:eek:

It could be on yours that the bearing cap came off or it broke at that point and it is sitting in the bottom of the oil pan:(

20. slayshit

slayshit New Member

I am hoping it is repairable because I do not see any holes in the block or oilpan

21. slayshit

slayshit New Member

what would be bad about the bearing cap coming off and being in the bottom of the oilpan??, besides the obvious haha

22. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

if there has been no catastrophic damace to the block you would be able to turn the crank, resize the rod ends hone the cylinders, re-ring it and get some undersized bearings

23. slayshit

slayshit New Member

thanks for the reply Milt, so obviously that would probably be alot cheaper than buying a whole new engine, I am going to get a mechanic to do the job, now what is the EASIEST way and what way is the RIGHT way because, I got it from a guy and he has offered to do the work for free for me, but I want it done right, so say I am lucky and there is no catastrophic damage, wouldent we have to shave all cylinders down to the same size so they match, which would require new pistons would it not? or is there any other solutions, would any noticable displacement be gained with it bored out or can these engines even handle it , I also kinda want to add maybe some performance parts while I have the engine out, cleaned, painted and overhauled such as maybe an "underdrive" pulley I think it was I heard "Don in Japan" talking about any other ideas? thanks in advance Milt

24. Mighty Milt

there are a few things you need to know before it goes to the machine shop:
    original cylinder bore & what rings are available (ie 10 over, 20 over...) and have it machined according to available rings or pistons and amount of damage.

original rod and crank journal sizes and available bearings (i've had to have a standard crank turned 30 under because those were the only availble rod and main bearings)

once you have that info you can send it to the machine shop with the specs and whay you need it turned down to/ bored over to.

cheap bang for the buck performance wise will be to have your cams reground to a mild performance grind. this is not an off the shelf thing i had all my custom cams done by SLR, he'll make anything you want.

see if you can find a little more stout valve spring to handle the better cam (this may require machining of the spring boss? not sure

then get the proper engine sealants, gaskets and all the torque specs and that is the right way... but that's JMHO

25. Subaru

Subaru Member

And do not plan on this being a quuick 1 week job:frustration:

Milt can probably agree he has had many 2 week jobs get completed in 3 months.

You will find more things you want to do as things progress

26. Mighty Milt

i pulled my tranny once because i broke an axle, turned into a full race trans, and while i was waiting on that i went from a 1.9L daily driver to a stroked fire breather that got me in the 12's on the 1/4. it should have been a 2 week project that took 3 months... but booooyyy was i happy with the results :D

27. slayshit

slayshit New Member

Well I think you really can tell I have the sickness already (asking about performance parts for my supposed to be daily driver) I could really see this happening to me especially with all you guys sending me helpful links showing performance parts and how they fit on my truck perfect, thanks alot you guys
    Also another quesion, Do you guys foresee anything else happening like some hidden cause(not in the engine) of my piston letting go after I get the totally new engine in?? and maybe damaging my new engine, I have heard there must be a reason for the piston letting go..

28. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

Either one of two things happened IMO:

1. Bottom end of connecting rod let go/ seized. I recall you saying the previous owner had a knock in the engine.

2. Timing belt problem. When the valves meet the piston it isn't a happy thing and all kinds of *&^t happens like maybe taking out a piston.
    If you have bent valves in more than one cylinder then this points more to the belt than #1 above.

My engine is almost at 129k kms, I just changed out the timing belt & water pump.
    I am thinking it was done in Japan at the 60k mark and was due for one, upon changing them I examined the old parts
    and found the water pump just starting to leak and the belt was getting brittle on the tooth side.

I have full confidence in my EN07 engine - it uses little to no oil, has good oil pressure, puts out good HP.

All should be good with yours if it is repaired properly.