1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sambar Fuel Pump Replacement

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by salthead, Mar 14, 2012.

1. salthead

salthead New Member

I need to replace the fuel pump on my Sambar.

Rather than trying to find an OEM, I'd prefer to buy a universal, but I'm perplexed by the three wire setup on the original. It appears that two of the wires are hot when the switch is in ignition.

Has anyone replaced the fuel pump with a universal, and why would there be two hots? Is it important?

Thanks!

2. Forx

Forx New Member

seems like the fuel pump is another unicorn hunt only solved by ordering the $300 part from over seas. Anybody have any luck with these?

3. Maximal

Maximal Active Member

supercharged or carb?

4. Forx

Forx New Member

Carb

5. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

Does the Carbed Sambar have a fuel return? If so, you could try a low-pressure universal inline pump like the Walbro GSL395.

6. Forx

Forx New Member

I'm starting to think it might be something on the Carburetor. I thought the fuel pump was going out but it turns out I have the exact opposite problem after a little more digging it looks like the spark plugs are getting flooded if I'm not really REALLY careful when I start it up. If it floods then all i have to do is take out all the spark plugs dump out the fuel and clean them pop them back in and try again. Been looking over the Carb diagrams and maybe one of the 2 solenoids is letting too much fuel in. Also had a friend recommend adjusting the fuel input because I'm at a higher altitude. Have no idea how to do that yet... lot more googling to do.

7. Botl01

Botl01 Active Member

Forx, make sure all the vacuum lines are in good shape. I replaced all of them on mine and it runs a lot better. (Even though they did not look bad) But, my spark plugs were not getting wet. Just a thought.

Forx likes this.
  8. Ohkei Dohkei

Ohkei Dohkei Active Member

clogged needle and seat? Might just be a carb issue..

Forx likes this.
  9. Forx

Forx New Member

yeah I've been researching the carb. I just didn't want to get in too deep as it recommends replacing all the gaskets if your going to do any maintenance on it. I might try some carb spray as well depending on what I find on the web. This is the first vehicle I have ever worked on, which is part the the reason I got it, and I'm looking at the engine/everything and I have zero experience just YouTube education. I was hoping to get a family friend to help me out a little but his health is pretty bad so I don't want to ask him too much, but he's happy to make suggestions over the phone.

Looking at the carb thinking. Yup that's it... right? LOL maybe I'll just kick the tires a couple more times and then go watch some more instructional videos.. HA!

Last edited: May 9, 2019
  10. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

I used to refresh the carb on my 77 Toyota Hilux, by warming it up, and then pulling off all the vacuum lines one at a time, and squirting carb leaner through them. I’d then pull the top off the carb with it still on the truck, and put in a new needle and seat. I was buying the whole kit, just to get the needle and seat.

On my Hijet, I’m kind of hindered because I don’t know what the settings for the float are supposed to be. That and the fact, no one sells a rebuild kit for the carb I have. So, I’d have to by a rebuild kit for something else with an Aiisan carb, and see if the needle and seat are the same. One of the few times I wish I lived in a bigger town. When I was in Vegas there was a shop that rebuilt carbs, and I could go there looking for pieces and parts for old carbs, and the guys who owned the shop would just walk over to a big parts rack, and grab me something that should work. After the second time I did the carb on my Hilux, I figured out those guys would sell me just the needle and seat.

The truck passed smog for 24-years before it finally failed the smog test, and for the last three years I didn’t tune it up, or even change the oil. I’d run it until the rockers rattled. And then I’d add a quart of oil.