1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sambar EN07Y rod bearing size

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by nick.ggggg, Jan 22, 2023.

1. nick.ggggg

nick.ggggg New Member

Hello, I want to replace the rod bearings on my 93 Sambar with the supercharged EN07Y motor.

I have seen different bearing sizes available, standard 0.00, 0.25 over, etc. I am not sure about which size I should order.

can anyone educate me or point me in the right direction for what size should be used on a 30 year old, 70,000km motor?

I am also open to vendor recommendations, I’m located in Arizona, USA.

thank you,
    Nick G

2. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

The only real way to know for sure is to measure the gap with plastigauge. Unless you are having your crank machined, you should not need to jump to 0.25 or 0.50mm undersized, but they do make a 0.03 and 0.05mm undersized to accomodate worn cranks.

If you do not have the ability or desire to do the measurements, then I would just stick with standard sized bearings.

fmartin_gila likes this.
  3. nick.ggggg

nick.ggggg New Member

Thank you for the response, I ended up buying a micrometer. Popped the rod caps off and measured the journals of the crankshaft. There was little wear on the crankshaft. The bearings however looked bad, down to the copper layer. So I’m happy that I chose to replace them now instead of later.

Pics show my measurements and the bearing sizes the service manual recommends. Also a pic of one of the bearings. My measurements land just between the standard and 0.03 undersize ranges. I suppose I better buy the standard size bearings to be safe, on the looser side rather than tighter.

F5C738D4-5441-4C49-8ED0-4484F01485F9.jpeg 798542C9-2183-4937-83D1-1CBE1ADE18D1.jpeg 94069643-6F40-469D-ABE3-15D995E8AAAF.jpeg

4. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

Yea, I would get the standard bearings with those measurements.