1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sambar constantly overheating

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by Baldy08, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Baldy08

Baldy08 New Member

My Sambar keeps overheating. At the moment I'm refilling her with coolant on a weekly basis.

The Sambar is then OK for a few days and then around th 5th day it suddenly sounds like I've got a jacuzzi bubbling under the rear of my van.

I've checked and no coolant is leaking anywhere... I've also spoken to someone who said a certain Sambar van model was recalled in Japan due to thermostat problems. So with this in mind I've ordered a new thermostat and water pump.

Has anyone else heard of this overheating issue before?
    If so did a new thermostat cure the problem?
    If not, has anyone got any suggestions to what the problem could be?

Thanks in advance!!!
    Baldy08

2. slimbad

slimbad Member

Sambar overheating

Baldy08,

First you say you are refilling the coolant on a weekly basis, then you say you checked and there is no coolant leaking anywhere. I take that to mean that you don't see any coolant leakage after you park it. Well, obviously the coolant is going somewhere, which probably means you are slowly losing it while you are driving and not noticing it.

Could be several things, but I think somehow you have a problem with air-block in your system, or it could be a problem with your coolant recovery system losing the coolant. It could be a collapsing hose that's preventing flow, an erratic thermostat (prob not - it's good or bad), or a bad/failing radiator cap.

If it is running OK then it prob is not a head gasket issue (no creamy looking oil in the engine?) and/or bad compression in the cyl's?

Other than that, just junk the engine and find/replace the engine with a larger one, that you posted in another thread you were interested in:D. Check the link I've included, scroll down to the Subaru section and look at the options for the various models/names of the Subaru vehicles and their engine options. The JDM export models did not have the Kei restrictions and had larger engine options (1.1/1.2L).

http://www.xs4all.nl/~mjs/cabover.html

Your ref to "petrol" engine leads me to believe you are not in the U.S., so you might have options in finding a larger replacement engine "over/up there" - wherever you live?

Hope some of this helps........later, slim

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  3. Baldy08

Baldy08 New Member

Thanks for all your help!!! Much appreciated.

I live in the UK.

I've literally had my Sambar for 6 weeks and I'm trying to understand my new toy.:)

My Japanese contact referred to the thermostat fault and that all vehicles were recalled - However, mine may not have been.

Once I get my thermostat I'll inform my mechanic of all your suggestions so he can inspect these at the same time.

No there's no creamy looking oil/bad compression... However I do get an oil residue on my rear window, however I think this is coming from the exhaust??

4. andy_symo

andy_symo Member

Hi Baldy

What type of Samber do you have - a mini van / pick up or a VW body kit one?

My new fake VW camper one seems to run quite hot but not sure the best way to cool it down yet.

Andy

5. Baldy08

Baldy08 New Member

Hi Andy,
    I've a VW Camper one.

It runs fine for a few days then it just over heats to the stage all the dash lights come on and the engine cuts out.

Baldy

6. andy_symo

andy_symo Member

Sounds a nightmare :(

I have had the Check Engine light come on a few times randomly but nothing more, saying that only had it for 60 miles (3 days) so far so will see how I go!

Back to yours... does it splutter, shudder before it cuts out at all? If so that would indicate to me anyway there is something wrong with the cylinder head. I aint got my hands dirty for years as had boring new cars but am prepared to for my
    Sambar.

Good luck with yours and I am sure one of the guys on here will be able to help more.

P.S What does your mechanic make of the Sambar to work on? I am planning to do a lot of the work myself as I cna't imagine the local garages near me wanting to touch it!

7. andy_symo

andy_symo Member

Any news on thsi Baldy?

8. ukmicro

ukmicro Member

Mine never gets above halfway on the temp gauge. Are both your fans working? The Radiator is under the drivers seat-could be in need of a clean. Rear fan is just for extra engine cooling- mine cuts in when the vehicle is stopped.
    I also removed the bottom side skirts all round - to help with the airflow.

9. andy_symo

andy_symo Member

After running my Sambar for 5 mins max the temp gauge goes off the chart at the top but I have heard there are some faulty thermostats on some Sambars - could this be the cause?

Planning on doing a good service ASAP so will flush the cooling system and check the fans etc.

10. It is impossible to run an engine for 5 minutes and have it overheat. You might have an air bubble in the water passage. Try burping the system. Remove the filler cap and run the engine with the cap off (idle is fine). Turn the heater on and the fan switch to high. Shake the vehicle here and there a bit during the warm up. Watch the temp gage go up and when it reaches close to 100 C the system should burp as there is no cap on the sytem to allow pressure. If the gage goes over 100c and no burp (splash through the filler port) the engine is not actually hot as the gage reads. At the 100C degree level rev the motor to force a burp. Have an assistant shake the vehicle. You know you have succeded if you get a combination of water and air coming from the filler port. This problem is comon on all Japanese mini-trucks and vans. Trucks and vans that have been tilted upwards in containers often face coolant problems.

Br,
    Don

11. andy_symo

andy_symo Member

Great advice Don - off outside to get my wife to help me shake my Sambar.:D

Will report back ASAP!

12. Good Luck! Well, its pub time in Yokohama (7:30pm) and just headed out now for an ice cold Kirin. Oh forgot, if you have a Van make sure BOTH heaters (if equiped) front and rear are switched on during the process.
    Cheers,
    Don

13. andy_symo

andy_symo Member

Ok started up Sambar, put heaters on full and undid the radiator cap. Temp gauge rose as high as it could whilst I revved the engne and shook it a little. Manage to get some steam and a little bit of water out the radiator cap but no burp as far as I could tell. I also left the van running and the temp gauge didn't come down with heaters back off so do you think it worked?

I will now leave it for a few hours to cool down and then try letting it idle and see if the temp gauge goes straight to the top of the gauge again - if it does then I am right in thinking the engine is getting as hot as is indicated by the temp gauge yeah as I got steam and water out the radiator cap? If so then do I need to do a radiator flush and change the coolant?

Thanks in advance

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  14. Hmmmn,
    from the conditions you are describing it sounds as if the termostat has totally failed and or blocked. Does it look as if the thermostat has been recently replaced? Did by chance you add so form of radiator "Stop Leak"? If there is no water in the oil I would go ahead and change the water pump and thermostat at the same time. You havent mentioned the present Kilometer reading but if over 80,000 kilometers the pump surely needs changing.

Br,
    Don

15. andy_symo

andy_symo Member

My Sambar has 78,00 miles on it but has been in the UK for 12 months and I don't know any of it's service history :(

There is no water in the oil from what I can see but I am planning carrying out a major service on it ASAP which will already cost a small fortune for the parts so does anyone know how I can test the water pump is working correctly as a thermostat is cheap compared to a new water pump?

Also just to say the water that was dripping out the back when revving with teh cap off was hot but I could comfortably touch it - should it have been boiling 90+ if the temp gauge was accurate and the engine temperature showed it was way past Hot?

16. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

Donald, does the sambar have a bleed screw for radiator. I know for a fact that some of the Suzuki's have it.

17. slimbad

slimbad Member

Overheating

IMO your system is air-blocked. In your last para you mentioned the temp gauge showed max hot and yet you could comfortably touch the water. Your engine was HOT - there wasn't any water flowing through the water jackets, therefore there wasn't a true transfer of heat between the air-blocked engine and the water in the radiator/coolant system.

My Mits was air-blocked due to improper filling of the radiator (thanks to my cuz), and within less than 2 miles of driving the temp gauge was maxed out. I shut it down and (about the same time my brain shut down) removed the radiator cap. BAD MOVE! It blew every bit of the coolant out of the radiator into every crevice of the cab (and all over me). I should have been scalded, but the water wasn't that hot. It was nowhere hot as what the temp gauge was showing - it shud have been boiling/steam. Once I let it cool down and properly refilled it without the air in the system all was well.

I agree that you shud have a bleed screw/vent/lever or something to be able to properly refill your system without it being air-blocked. Here's another thread on the topic that might help:

http://www.minitrucktalk.com/showthread.php?t=5502

Hope everything works out. Post your solution..........later, slim

18. andy_symo

andy_symo Member

Thanks for this Slim and glad you weren't scalded with your Mits!

I will try refilling it later and see if I can find a bleed screw etc.

19. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

The bleed screw on Suzuki's is on the thermostat housing. Everybody has a different way of getting the air out. Best to remember, make sure thermostat is working(put it in boiling water on stove and test it. You can see it open and close by taking it in and out of water). No worky, no good. Always bleed air at the highest point of system where ever that may be and be at operating temp.

20. andy_symo

andy_symo Member

Just a quick update on this in case anyone was following...

Had a full service with a new thermostat fitted, new water pump and brand new coolant and my temp gauge still goes up above H so think it's definitely a dogdy switch / gauge somewhere - any ideas where to look?

21. Baldy08

Baldy08 New Member

Hi Andy Symo,
    My Sambar is currently in the garage waiting to have a new thermostat and water pump fitted.

I've been told that the engine needs dropping so you can get to the water pump and thermostat... Is this true?

22. andy_symo

andy_symo Member

I was getting my timing (cam) belt done so decided to change the water pump as well and my garage yes said it was quicker droppping the whole engine.

23. Baldy08

Baldy08 New Member

Roughly how much did this cost you - or did you do it yourself?

24. andy_symo

andy_symo Member

I bought all the parts myself (from Don's Yokohama company) but to change the timing belt, water pump, plugs, oil change & filter and other full service items took the garage 6 hours total which they billed me their hourly rate for - I estimated 4 hours but the faulty temp gauge threw them somewhat and I was paying 30% less than my local Subaru garage wanted to charge!

25. Baldy08

Baldy08 New Member

Brilliant!

I've got all the parts - I'm just waiting a quote from the garage.

Cheers,
    Baldy08

26. Jacklyn Jauregui

Jacklyn Jauregui New Member

Did you ever find out if it was the thermostat/water pump was the issue? I am currently experiencing the same thing. The engine will just shut off

27. Ohkei Dohkei

Ohkei Dohkei Active Member

That post is over 10yo. If you've followed the coolant filling procedures posted in the Sambar section and are still having cooling problems, I suggest you check your coolant for oil, and your oil for coolant, it could be a head gasket. If they both look ok, do a compression check and make sure everything is healthy.

28. Ohkei Dohkei

Ohkei Dohkei Active Member

Oh, and welcome to the forum!