1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S83P Normal Operating Temp

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by a spooky ghost, Jan 30, 2018.

1. a spooky ghost

a spooky ghost New Member

On a S83P 660cc, where should the temp gauge rest while running / driving normally? The little truck gets dang warm running 60mph... (I have the fan on a push button system for now).

Or better yet, at what temp should the fan kick on at/ position of the gauge?

Thanks.

2. bobjonah

bobjonah Active Member

Mine is hard to get really hot in this cold weather, but in summer, it runs just below half way on the gauge at normal speed, and on a hot day on the highway, just over half way. The fan kicks in at about 200 deg F and off at about 190. The whole cooling system was full of crap when I got it and had to do a lot of flushing. Initially, I could not even get fluid to go thru the heater, it was so plugged up. All clear now, and have a proper thermostat and a re-cored rad - works great.

3. a spooky ghost

Sounds like I need to give it a good flush then.
    The core still gives good heat, so it is no where near as bad as yours was.

After I rebuild Mr. Carb, the flushy is next.

4. a spooky ghost

I got around to flushing it today. Started off with a bottle of prestone coolant flush, then drove around a few hours. What came out was damn gritty! Awfully red(the original coolant was red..).

Anyway way, the core still looked full of gritty stuff(rust, and small gravel). So I gave it several flushes using about 10 ounces- of Citric Acid powder, and water.

Each time more and more stuff came out, looked like I was washing down a sand castle! The vitamin C ate all of the rust flakes, and now the core looks nice.

Haven't drove it since all of this yet, but it has to be better.

Seems the fan kicks on right at half way on the temp gauge.