1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s83p muffler relacement

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks' started by fupabox, Apr 22, 2010.

1. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

My original 1992 muffler was a bit chunky (loose rattling baffles inside)..time to go a bit larger...ordered a 12" oval muffler 1.75 id offset both ends..same size case as original but, larger diameter by .25" on intake and .50" on the exhaust side..all bolts on the original came out with no problem whatsoever.
    Yanked the whole system out from the manifold back(this is one heavy exhaust.must be 30lbs.. holy crap). Checked the cat.,not plugged,and sliced the muffler from the tailpipe and from the cat. The original muffler had an outer heat shield with fibreglass lining wrapped tightly around it. I drilled out the spot welds and saved the outer shield to attach to the new muffler..
    Continued tomorrow after install.............

Attached Files:

2. starpuss

starpuss Member

did you start it up with out the muffler to see how it would sound?

3. fupabox

saving that for tomorrow..was after 9pm when I thought about it didn't want any neighbour hatred:p

4. Meesho

Meesho Member

You should run 2 inch from the muffler back :D:D

5. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

lol get some video of that thing straight piped!!!

6. o8k

o8k Member

Amazing how different the exhaust system is from my Carry!

7. fupabox

unfortunately I couldn't completely finish today(locked myself out of the house:frustration: which spoiled 2 hours as I broke in without breaking anything...yes I have a spare hidden in the garage ... but... I hid it so well I can't remember where I put it:eek:)
    Anyhow...the ordered muffler came in a bit different than when I ordered it..everything as in the first post but outlet is only 1.5inch id...not being the patient type I decided to make do.....didnt end up using the original heat shield wrap as the new muffler is so small compared to the original ..and the larger pipe diameters dont heat up anywhere near as much. Since I couldn't make it to a muffler shop to get the tailpipe bent up as I wanted I decided to experiment a bit with off the shelf pre bent pipe and adapters. The idea is to gradually increase pipe diameters to prevent slowing down the exhaust which would overcool it ..and obtain a trumpet effect like an old vw bug megaphone exhaust..... from the 1 1/2 id muffler outlet is an 18" piece of 1 5/8 id to 1 5/8 od..then a 1 5/8 id to 2" id adapter..finally the prebent 45 degree 2" id to 2 1/4 od..then the resonator tip which I had sitting around....

bad adio on the youtube vids..my cellphone background noise cancelling was messing with certain sound frequencies..GF is bringing my video camera home from her parents tomorrow so I'll have better audio then..
    BTW there is no welding job small enough that you can forgo using your welding gloves..spatter from an old damp rod got under my watchband and yeeeoow:(:(:frustration: thats when I realized I was locked out lol
    sorry for rambling
    first vid is the no exhaust request
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkLyTDAKG44
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFStlBbez3g&feature=player_embedded

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  8. fupabox

9. fupabox

Ok done..swapped out the 45 degree turnout for a 90 degree and exited behind the rear wheel. Seat of the pants impression....YEEEESSSS!!! 1/4-1/3 less throttle pedal at all speeds, revs much easier,sounds nice and mellow from inside the cab and actually counteracts some of the higher frequency sounds from the engine at speed...quieter? hard to say but more pleasant sounding, not as harsh when revved up. On a stretch of uphill road I've used to test acceleration with different tire sizes etc. I noticed it hit 100kph and was still speeding up,whereas I have never gotten past 92-93 before:). For a total investment of $90(cant count my mig that went south on me ..had to use my old arc welder) I'm happy . Final youtube vid..GF forgot the video camera so I used a reg camera,better than the cellphone audio but not much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj8lZ-QsA-U

10. BigJoel

BigJoel Member

What kinda muffler is that and where'd you get it? My cat light is starting to come on, so i'm going to remove the cat and sensor. I plan to change mufflers while i'm under there, but idk what will sound good. Thinking i may run duals if i have room around the spare and gas tank Just to look cool..

11. fupabox

The muffler is a Walker TRU-FIT universal ...#18136

12. BigJoel

BigJoel Member

Thanks for the info man. I'll be ordering one soon. I found one on Amazon for 20 bucks. Proly cost me about 30 bucks at the muffler shop to get it put on. I'll post up some pics and let yall know how i like it once i get it done.

EDIT:
    Just ordered it. Cost me almost as much for shipping as the muffler did. Should be here next week sometime. I've got the gf's 21st bday party to pay for next weekend, so it'll proly be a couple weeks before i go have it put on. I'll keep yall up dated.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
  13. fupabox

$20 dang I paid $50...free trade and same value dollar my arse...:mad:

14. BigJoel

BigJoel Member

Well i got my muffler installed Friday, and i love it. It sounds great. I never expected this little 3 banger to sound decent. It reminds me of an old nissan or toyota 4 cylinder. I removed the cat completely, so mine is probably a bit louder then your fupabox. But that doesn't bother me a bit. I also removed the 02 sensor, and grounded the wire. For anybody wondering the wire to ground on my truck was the brown w/ yellow stripe one.
    My total investment cost was $73. I rank in number two behind my wheels and tires as best investment so far.

15. fupabox

glad it worked for you..amazing the difference it makes isn't it...louder but somehow smoother at the same time..less harsh than the stangled stock muffler I guess...my buddy took some good video of mine but he won't send it to me until he monkeys with it..god knows what he will come up with,but I will post it as soon as I can...do you have a vid of yours ?

16. aeroshots

aeroshots Member

Found the front of my muffler comming apart. I ordered the same muffler you all used and from amazon. By the way, added a generic battery hold down kit and got shipping for free. Lets see, add 5 dollar hold down or pay 20 bucks shipping???:D
    Hopefully I will like the results as you all did.

17. fupabox

FINALLY my buddy finished futzing around with the video....here it is..turn up the volume:pop:
    By the way the A-Team stuff was the reason he took so long with it.(his way of laughing at my truck?)....thought it would be embarrassing to me HAH..good luck on that
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BPooxFaCdM

Last edited: May 15, 2010