1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s83p 660cc Choke operation

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by a spooky ghost, Jan 4, 2018.

1. a spooky ghost

a spooky ghost New Member

On our 92 s83p, it has a awful time starting from cold. Takes a lot of fluttering with the pedal

A royal pain, but when warm runs perfect(goes about 60mph).

I saw the video on the carb adjustments, it did nothing to help. The choke linkage seems to move on its own, only attached to a little coiled spring.

I applied vacuum to the top port of what I think is the choke pull off, it held vac-but did nothing else.

What am I missing here?

Thanks.

2. Squeaks-leaks

Squeaks-leaks Member

The choke flap will have a little movement on its own. But it still should come to a complete close when the engine is cold. If you manually force the choke blade closed does it start better?

I believe the bottom port is the one you should be testing with vacuum. It shouldn't allow the choke blade to close more than about 80% with a vacuum applied.

3. a spooky ghost

Yeah the choke linkage can move fully by hand. When it is cold, and with fluttering the pedal- it will often make a pop-pop sound, until warm. Me thinks it is the choke flipping on, and off....

When warm, it runs perfect in every way though...

I'll take another look today..

4. Squeaks-leaks

Squeaks-leaks Member

That little coil spring that is attached to the choke flap is pretty weak I can move the choke flap by hand all the way in both directions on my carb also.

It should be 100% closed when the engine is cold and off. After the engine starts the vacuum pull off should open the choke to about 80% closed. Then it will slowly open as the engine gets up to operating temp. There is also a little ramp underneath the carb that the throttle stop rides on, this cracks the throttle open slightly and keeps the idle higher during the warm up period.

I would take off the intake tube and take a look at what the choke flap is doing during warm up.

5. a spooky ghost

I took a look with the hose off. The choke was sitting half way open when off. I adjusted the choke screw in a good bit. Though I still had the choke about a 1/8 open. It starts a crap load better.

I watched it while warming up, I didn't see it open up( or it barely did).

To be fair, it is 19 F outside right now. So maybe it would kinda stay on.....

Also with hand vac pump- I pulled a vac on that bottom choke port. It did nothing-but hold a vacuum.

Probably because of the cold..

6. Squeaks-leaks

Squeaks-leaks Member

If it was 1/8 open I don't think the choke was closed enough for the choke pull off to come into play yet. Regardless of the temp outside if the coolant temp gets up to operating temp the choke should come all the way open. Mine takes awhile to warm up when its in the 20's though. I don't blame ya for not wanting to work on it in the cold though haha.

One other thing you should check is if the coolant lines that run to the carb are clear. If the carb doesn't get a supply of fresh coolant then the whole choke mechanism wont operate at all.

7. a spooky ghost

I'll adjust it to be closed when cold. Good tip about the coolant lines.

I drained out the old red coolant(from Japan)-right after we got it. The rad has a good bit of junk in it. I really need to flush it, when things warm up a bit.

8. bobjonah

bobjonah Active Member

G & R Imports has a great article regarding the garb adjustments in their "Tips" section

9. a spooky ghost

Wow, thanks for that!

Everything I ever wanted to know about my carb.

So when the truck got to the states, the choke was about half way open- when cold. Now I have it shut-when cold, then the vaccum unit pulls it open about an 1/8th.