1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S83P 1.5l engine swap build

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by Oreofreak, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Oreofreak

Oreofreak New Member

So I have been lurking on this forum ever since I got my truck last fall. I have learned a lot about these trucks on this forum. I was surprise to learn how many of these trucks were actually in the United States. Now I have been deciding for awhile what kind of engine swap I was going to do this truck. I never have been actually happy with the performance the engine in this truck. It really seems like this is the slowest truck compare to many of the other trucks here in Japan. When compare to most kei cars here it is really freaking slow. My many different plans was to convert the engine to efi, sohc 12 valve, dohc 12 valve, and dohc 12 valve turbo. But since I have decided to bring this truck back with me to the United States. I have decided to go bigger than a 660cc engine. My original plan was to install a 1.3l K3VE engine from a Daihatsu Atrai 7. When I was at the junkyard looking for this engine I came across this engine instead. I actually mistakenly thought it was a K3VE engine. I notice the engine number didn't match what I was looking for. After doing some quick research I found out this engine is basically 1.5l version of the K3VE engine. The engine I bought is 1.5l 3SZ-VE engine from 2008 Toyota Townace. The plan is to have the engine in with in next three months.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Oreofreak

Oreofreak New Member

This engine swap is going to be quite in involved but not impossible. But not as hard as doing bike engine swap or something like that. Some things has to be address when doing this swap.First I had to remove the powersteering pump and bracket from the engine. I had to install a way shorter belt that also requires rerouting it totally different from factory. I currently have a 6pk790 belt installed but is still a little to long. I now know that a 6pk750 belt is too short. I think maybe a 6pk770 will be a good size that allows good adjustment of the alternate tension bolt. I have to replace few things on the engine that they broke while removing from the truck. I have already replaced vvt-i control valve. But also need to replace one broken coil pack and plug. I need repair dented oil pan. I need too repair cut engine harness of course. I did not get a ecu with this engine. Working on that now from local auctions. But first order of business is to convert my truck from 4 speed to 5 speed with a transmission from a s110p. It is from this generation and on that the transmission were pretty much the same type for Daihatsu trucks and vans. This transmission will allow me to just swap the bellhousing so it will bolt up to the 3SZ engine.

[​IMG]

3. dale hynes

dale hynes Member

Did this engine swap work out? was it relatively straight forward? most of all was it worth it?

4. mrxsht

mrxsht Member

Sweet! A1.5L 5speed. You'll be able to reach highway speeds now.
    I swapped for a 1.3L 5speed I got from the UK. I'm envious .

5. veedabowlu

veedabowlu New Member

Did he ever finish this swap?? All I hear is crickets...

6. mrxsht

mrxsht Member

I don't know . With me I haven't finished mine but I know he's probably not!