1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S81 Jumbo 4x4 question

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by D'Animal, Nov 15, 2008.

1. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

Hmmm, well I just pulled slow fuel cut solenoid, it works fine. Milt, yea, I thought it might be the choke. I can keep it running when cold by pumping the fuel and open and close choke by hand trying to find the sweet spot. That doesnt help. I can also see the vacuum being pulled on the choke and its opening as engine warms up. I am stumped. Any other ideals?

2. TRAX and HORNS

Dan, i never would have found that switch under the glove box without you telling me. Dont know about yours by that is a small switch on this one. Bout the size of a pin head.
    Thanks

3. TRAX and HORNS

Milty, Milty, Milty, you got me going in the right direction. Thanks. Ok, vacuum line coming off of intake manifold ties into several things. One thing is "Choke Breaker". There is a little in line filter looking thing in that vacuum line(Looks like a check valve,white on one end,green on the other end). (I am thinking it cuts down on the vacuum so it doesnt pull to much). That was the problem. Took it off blew though it, blew though other end, couldnt really tell anything. Put it in a cup of water and finally barely got water though it, turned it around same thing. To some degree it was stopped up. What ever vacuum it is pulling isnt much. But enough to make the Choke Breaker work. Put everything back together and POW--Kazzam--Poof-- ROCK IN ROLL Baby. That might be reason Dept. of Interior got rid of it. Truck is slick as a babies ^#(*& inside and out,left hand drive, 4x4, dump,11k miles.
    Thanks Dan and Milty,
    Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained.

4. TRAX and HORNS

As for the slow fuel cut solenoid, you can test it by removing it and ground it out with ignition in on position and see it work. (Had nothing to do with the above)

5. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

Hooray!!! :D glad you got it going!!

6. TRAX and HORNS

Darn it, its started doing it again. As the day warmed up the engine wasnt cooling as fast.
    Went out and it started right up several times. I was sooo happy. Went and did some honey do's for a couple of hrs. Got back to the truck same old freaking thing. Pump, pump, pump, temp. gets up and it runs fine. Got some tin foil and put it under my cap. Nothing happened. Then I got something, call Leon Barrnet the Daihatsu Guru @ DAIHATSU HELP 626-333-7897. You Daihatsu owners put this in your address book. Told him what it was doing. He said this happens all the time. The USA marketed trucks are shifted into low range only. (Cant get into high unless you take the c clip out in the trans). So in low range the engines are running high rpms.. "Hello" Check the valves, 8 on the intake, 10 on the exhaust, cold engine. 99.99% that will cure what ill's you. When the valves are warm it starts and runs fine. Make since.
    Didnt even enter my mind, tunnel vision will kill you every time. Step outside the box boy, Thats what my old toolpusher used to say.
    I'll chime in when I get it done.

7. TRAX and HORNS

Milt, you are right. Leon Barnett just went down a notch and you just went up 2. You cant get any higher. Just kidding about Leon. He is sharp. After adjusting the valves which they were off a hair to 8 intake 10 exhaust still did the same thing. Engine cold you can see the butterfly closed but on close inspection not closed enough. After talking shop with another gear head his take was choke as well. After hitting the fuel about 4 times it will run a few seconds, that gives me time to jump around and keep it running at the carb. with my hand. If I hold the butterfly closed with a bit of pressure on it it will stay running. So now I am thinking its somewhere in the the adjustment on choke. The choke on this is complicated. Its got vacuum lines galore, plastic gears, springs, slow speed cut off, high speed cut off. The book says dont #@!*^ mess with these adjustments but I got no choice. Truck runs great when it comes to running temp.
    Just got to figure the choke adjustments.
    I did get the new window installed, thanks to Southern Express Mini Trucks for packaging so it wouldnt break. I wont mention the other parts supplier that sent first window which was broke when it got to Austin. That was the biggest joke of packaging I ever saw. Bubble wrap and card board.

8. Mighty Milt

i had an old fiat 128A that had a PITA choke like that... if i'm not mistake all i had to do was loosen a couple screws around the choke and just turn it a bit and the butterfly would close a bit more? it's been almost 20 years since i had that car so it's a bit hard to recall... but it was a water regulated choke as well.

(BTW t&h you can always click on the scales above my post and add to my reputation ;))

kepow likes this.
  9. TRAX and HORNS

Come on, if I did that you might have to get a bigger pcs. of tin foil. Which might not be a bad ideal. But then we might not be able to deal with you. But then again I might sleep better.

10. Mighty Milt

how did you know about the tin foil hat?!?! i was just sitting here watching TV

[​IMG]

11. TRAX and HORNS

*^$#^@ boy! Did it again, spit Dr. Pepper all over my PC.

12. Mighty Milt

[​IMG][​IMG]my work here is done!! [​IMG][​IMG]

13. louannfd1

louannfd1 Member

Newby to mini trucks

I was having the same problem with my Surplus Federal mini truck(old Air Force truck). As long as you can pat the pedal it would run, after 10-15 minutes it would idle and go fine. then one day about 2 weeks ago she started working fine no more patting the pedal. My feet were getting tired. I am glad to here about the e clip in the transfer case that one has been bugging me since I could not go over 25-30mph.

92 Diahatsu Jumbo
    left hand steering
    4 speed low range
    2wd big yellow light on top
    installed front bumper,brush guard, and 3000# winch
    rear bumper 3" square tubing and 2" receiver hitch

14. D'Animal

D'Animal Member

Small little buggar.

The top picture is looking in through the glove box, look for the erasor on the end of the pencil.

The bottom picture is looking straight up from the bottom.

The switch is the little white thing.

Attached Files: