1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S80LP Hijet Speed Limiter.

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by MetalMania, Nov 24, 2017.

1. Mark D Baughn

Mark D Baughn New Member

I think you and me have the same freak USDM version S80 Hijet. Mine is a 1988 van LHD.

My van does NOT have a transfer case. It is just a 4 speed transmission with the driveshaft coming directly from it to the rear differential.

I bypassed the 15mph computer and disabled the fuel cutoff solenoid on the carb. Finally I used a cutoff wheel to remove a steel spike blocking 4th gear.

My van will do maybe 40mph at redline in 4th gear. I wish I did have a transfer case. It would be nice to be able to hit 60mph.

I am going to search for a higher ratio ring and pinion, but I'm not too optimistic about it.

I'm currently waiting for my Montana plates so I can actually putt around here in CA.

2. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

Mark, are you certain there isn’t a transfer case, with a blocked output for the front shaft? They tried to minimize the number of special parts needed to manufacture the LHD versions, and were selling LHD versions in a couple of different locations. But only the USDM versions needed to be speed limited.

I doubt they would make a run of special differentials, the stock is around a 7.5:1, and pretty much fills the case. So, it would be less expensive to just block the transfer case in low range with an easily machined groove, and a $0.29 cir-clip.

And, 4th gear really winding in low range is about 35-mph in my truck.

3. KRAIG STROM

KRAIG STROM Member

Thank you again Jim and everyone else who contributed to my speed barrier quest. Now I need to find 4 lug wheels so I can get off the turf tires!

4. KRAIG STROM

KRAIG STROM Member

It boggles my mind to think about how much effort went into sending these trucks all the way from Japan with 3 layers of speed restriction! My next quest is to find street wheels and tires so I can motor around at city speeds safely.

5. Mark D Baughn

Mark D Baughn New Member

Do you see a transfer case in my picture???

Attached Files:

6. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

It's on the other side of the tranny.

7. Mark D Baughn

Mark D Baughn New Member

There is nothing on the other side either. I know what the transfer case looks like. It's a separate casting which protrudes outward, with a blocked off output shaft. I've seen it on other Hijets and on other 4WD vehicles that I own.

This Hijet doesn't have it unfortunately.

8. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

I just realized that yours is a van. I don't remember ever hearing of a van being in this group of vehicles expressly built for export to the U.S.. I wonder if this is one of those rigs that went through one of the shops in the Philippines where they convert to l.h.d and all sorts of different mods. Fred might be a good source on this one.
    I think the year model may be earlier too, as I remember the U.S. versions were 1990-1993 with '93 being the last year that Daihatsu exported to U.S. I talked to Leon Barnett when he was still on their payroll as a co.rep., I had just bought a junker with dump and scissor and wanted to know the year mfg. and if the engine would fit in my '93 Jumbo cab. He told me the only difference was that in '93 they had changed the distributor and that was the only difference, all other parts would interchange. The other truck was a '92.

9. Mark D Baughn

Mark D Baughn New Member

I came across a thread on this forum from several years ago which the OP claimed there was actually a US based Daihatsu plant in the late 80's where some domestic vans were produced. He said he was building a database for existing vans from this plant and had a website for reference, but unfortunately the links were all dead. If I can find that thread I will link to it. Hopefully the OP is still an active member here. I'd love to know more about my van.

10. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

As I suspected there is no van in this group I will try to attach photo of page showing models but basically there are reg. pickup,Jumbo cab, dump bed and dump and scissor.

Attached Files:

11. Mark D Baughn

Mark D Baughn New Member

I see. Yes it's very hard to find info on my van as it is labeled as an "S80V".

My actual VIN is JDA00S80V003XXXXX (I am obscuring the last 5 digits)

12. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

The best guy I remember on this site regarding Daihatsu's was Fupa Box but he dropped out several years ago due to serious health problems. I have never heard of a U.S. based plant, just paid representative,Leon Barnett, but that deal was for a limited time after they stopped exporting to here. I talked to him and exchanged emails but when the time limit of the agreement ran out I tried to contact him a couple of times with no luck

13. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

Most,if not all manufacturers made 2 w.d. models but they were R.H.D.. My 1st mini was a 2 w.d. Mitsubishi,L.H.D. with dump bed that I bought from U.C.S.D. as surplus from their maintenance fleet. The guy I sold it to worked for the Navy as a civilian contractor and told me they had a bunch of them on the base he worked at.
    You're V.I.N. is the same as the 2 I had except for the V which I'm sure means van,I just don't understand it being a S80 and not in this group made specifically for the U.S. market especially with L.H.D.. Does it have the "bubble" top like the one in my avatar? The Mits. that I had was built that way too. Someone said that was because the Japanese thought all Americans were like John Wayne and wore 10 gallon hats.

14. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

I just thought of another good source of info.,Terry Bearden forum name TraxnHorns , he knew a lot about them and had a shop and dealership in Austin,Tx. I talked to him a couple of times and he is a real nice guy and will surely help if he can. You can find his contact info in the members list under the information heading. I'm not sure he is still in the business as he hasn't posted for a long time.

15. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

Sorry, I'll have to admit I know absolutely nothing about this. I have also never heard of any vehicles being reconstructed here and then being exported elsewhere. None of the vehicles here have any speed restriction schemes attached.

Fred

16. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

Thanks for chiming in Fred, I've never heard of trucks being exported from there but have heard several times about them being imported to there and modified extensively. I think there are some you tube videos on some of them.
    I sure would like to help Mark but I'm about out of ideas.If we can't help each other out I'm afraid the forum will peter out.

17. Jigs-n-fixtures

The S80 and S81, were powered by the 550-cc EB series engines. The S80 was 2wd, and the S81 was the 4wd. Pretty much everything else was the same as the S82 and S83.

Other non JDM versions of the S80 series chassis, are out there, with larger engines in the “E” series, at 830-cc (EG), and 993-cc (EH), and some with 1.3-liter 4-cylinder engines, and 1.3 and 1.6-liter diesel versions were sold in Europe. Probably others I haven’t heard of.

My understanding was that all of the LHD versions had an L in the vin, inserted between the Series Designation and the the letter. Limestones truck is an S81LP, for example.

As to wheels, there are some steel ones out there. The 13X5 wheels of the Charades will fit. Occasionally, I’ve seen the 13X5 aluminum wheels for the S110V show up on eBay. And, Stockton Wheel might make you up something. Not sure if they are still doing custom stuff or not. Some of the Mazda 13-inch wheels might fit with a little work. I seem to recall that the center bore was too small.

18. Mark D Baughn

Mark D Baughn New Member

Hey thanks for the info! My engine is the EB yes, I found the letters cast onto the block. This 550cc engine is much more powerful than my old Subaru 360cc van. I love it!

Last night I got up to a GPS rated top speed of 44 mph before valve float started slowing me. This was in 4th gear. I'm currently on the stock 10" wheels with tiny 145/80r10 tires. According to my calculations when I run a larger tire (close to 23" OD) I should be able to hit 53 mph. This is good enough for me. It means I can travel on the highways where the speed limit is 45 mph no problem.

Good to know about the wheel fitments. I am going to look at some early RX-7 wheels this weekend actually. I'll make sure to measure the bores.

19. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

Mark,
    I picked up some ITP steel wheels from Summit Racing very reasonable, new with no B.S.! That's just my style, no B.S.!!! BY THE TIME I START MESSIN AROUND WITH SOMEBODY ELS'S USED WHEEL PROBLEMS, FORGETA BOUT IT!!! LOL!
    Limestone

20. woopee

woopee New Member

Here are the notes on my wheel and tire upgrade. Now, you may need to get a lift to go this big on the front. I've just put these on the rear so far. (See my profile photo for difference in tires, and see sig for my truck type.)
    • Original, as bought, 10 inch wheels
    • Wheels stamped: S <Daihatsu> 10x3.50B <symbol> 91/9 (I think a date code)
    • 5.00-10 Load Range D Tubeless Bias-Ply
    • If you want tires for Original wheels: Deestone D901 5.00-10 DS7260 Load Range: D (8 Ply), sold as a trailer tire, but it's really a highway minitruck tire.
    • Front wheel bearing: stamped NSK HR 30203J (high load bearing)
    • Wheel change: ITP Delta Steel 12x7 4x110mm Steel Black Gloss, 4+3, 1221753014 (I don't recommend the 2+5 or other back spacing)
    • Tire change to Carlisle All Trail 23x8.00-12NHS (for new 12 inch wheels) - I picked these because of the good weight carry1ing capacity and tread
    • Lugnuts... near nightmare. Tried many sizes, found them finally. 10 mm x 1.25 is what fits, but I wanted black ones with a large, 17 mm head. (Many of these are for ATVs and they like to use the smaller 14 mm head, which means a lug wrench won't fit.) I found M10x1.25 by emailing Tyk Industries during an eBay purchase, and had them cough up the ones with the large head!
    • I am not using my rear fenders, and I'm wondering about the front ones.
    [​IMG]
    If you need DOT-rated tires instead of non-highway service, I can look that up. There's a YouTube video about it.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    emorgan451 and Limestone like this.
  21. Jigs-n-fixtures

Guys please try to avoid changing topics in threads. It makes it really hard to find things with the search engine in the future..

How will anyone find this wheel information in the future?

I’m sure everyone on the forum has tried using the search engine to find information, and been frustrated with the results. These run on threads which change topics multiple times are a big part of why it is hard to use the search engine to find relevant results.

emorgan451 likes this.
  22. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

I agree with jigs, it has gotten to the point that you are better off using a search engine like google and they might direct you to a thread on this forum. I realize it's hard to avoid topic creep but we need to try or it turns into a mess that is impossible.

emorgan451 likes this.