1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s80 547cc hijet 1987

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by oldoldoldman, Dec 25, 2010.

1. oldoldoldman

oldoldoldman Member

hi, the radiator fan is on all the time and I need to know where the relay is for it. No evidence of hot wiring of the fan but I dont know where to look, the temp sensor on the radiator seem ok. any help? tom

2. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

you can check the temp sensor by unplugging it from the top of the sensor when the engine is hot..if the fan goes off the relay is good, and the sensor is bad..opposite if it stays on...the relay is round with a rubber cap with an exclamation mark on top

3. oldoldoldman

oldoldoldman Member

radiator fan always on

the radiator sensor seems ok. It is unplugged, but are you saying that the plug is the relay and fan temp sensor all in one? tom

4. fupabox

the fan sensor is a bimetallic heat operated switch....the sensor is grounded through the engine when the sensor is heated to the proper temperature the bimetallic switch inside it completes the circuit to the relay to switch on the fan.
    It should be separate from the relay...hard to say what may have been done to it over the years.....the wiring from the fan should go straight to the relay,as should the sensor wiring

5. oldoldoldman

oldoldoldman Member

fan always on

do you have any idea where the relay is, the wiring all seems to be untouched and I cant follow it without cuting some of the taping on it and I dont want to if I dont need to. Nothing clicks like a relay when I turn on the key so Im guessing its stuck or defeated but I cant find it so far.

6. fupabox

under the pass. seat if I remember correctly

7. oldoldoldman

oldoldoldman Member

fan always on

hi the only thing I see under there is the main fuse.