1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s210p losing power

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by arrow, Mar 30, 2018.

1. arrow

arrow New Member

I have a diahatsu s210 that I have had for about 8 years with zero problems til about 6 months ago. truck acted like it was running out of fuel, I could tap on the pedal a few times and it would straighten out for a few minutes then bog down again, tap on the pedal and another fix for a few minutes, after about 5 or 6 times the pedal tap wouldn't make it smooth out anymore but I could turn turn the ignition off then back on with the truck still rolling and it would run perfectly for a few minutes then the same thing again, figured it was about time for a fuel pump anyway so I replaced it, no help. This is what I have done so far: Replaced the fuel pump, steam cleaned the tank, blew out or replaced the fuel lines, installed an inline fuel filter, fuel pump is putting out a constant48 lbs. when it is running good or bad, replaced the plugs, replaced the air filter blew out the carbon filter, checked all the vacuum hoses, cleaned out the throttle body and verified that all the ports were open, removed and cleaned the fuel rail to the injectors, all the coil paks are firing whether it is running good or bad, changed out the computer yesterday morning. No change. These items were done over a 6 month period and there has been no change at all after anything I have done. This is a ranch truck and it makes the same 45 minute trip around the ranch every day without any starts or stops. No check engine lights. It will start easy enough but it's not a smooth idle, but just a touch on the pedal will smooth it out,,, Well, What do you'all suggest?

2. bobjonah

bobjonah Member

Sounds like the throttle position sensor needs adjustment, or the throttle cable is loose. Just guesses mind you as I am not familiar with your system, but sure seems like what happens to most OBD1 systems

3. arrow

arrow New Member

just replaced the throttle body sensor, no change.

4. ttc

ttc Active Member

What does it have for an idle air system?

5. Test the coil(s) whole they are warm. Not sure what the resistance readings should be. Hopefully you can find a ,manual that tells you.

Engines need two things to run: Spark, and Fuel. It sounds like you have pretty much done all you can about the fuel side. So start checking the spark side of things. As coils age, they stated to break down and become heat sensitive. As they warm up they don’t work right. But work just fine when cool.

6. arrow

arrow New Member

Just replaced all 3 coil packs, no change. There is absolutely no pattern to this problem, the only thing that is consistant is that turning the ignition switch off and then immediately back on it will run perfectly for a while. " a while" can be 10 seconds or 30 minutes. As stated above the daily feed route takes about an hour, some days we can make the complete trip [very seldom] and the next day have to turn the ignition off and on 15 to 20 times to get the trip done.

7. Intermittent not quite good power feed?

8. arrow

arrow New Member

9. arrow

arrow New Member

Don't know, but turning the switch off and back on is definitely resetting something.

10. I’d look at the ignition switch. And the wiring from there to the engine controls unit. Sounds like an intermittent low voltage issue. And ignition switches do go bad.

For a short term test, I’d wire in a toggle for the on/off, and a push button for the starter, and see if it fixed the problem.

11. ttc

ttc Active Member

hmm does it seem like the engine is flooding out with extra fuel killing the power and missfiring?

12. ttc

ttc Active Member

could also be tps is dirty inside. do you notice it goes wonky when you have the accelerator at any particular spot?

13. arrow

arrow New Member

it seems more like its running out of fuel, sometimes I can tap the acc. pedal and it will pick back up and run fine for a few minutes, it has backfired a few times while tapping the acc. pedal but that is not a common occurrence. If tps is throttle body positioner sensor, I installed a new one last week.

14. Is there a ballast resistor on the wire feeding the coils? I don’t think the S210 had one, but I had an old Dodge with similar symptoms, that i fought with for a couple of months, only to figure it out when the intermittent failures finally became a permanent open, and the car quit running completely.

15. arrow

arrow New Member

16. arrow

arrow New Member

Just got back from the daily feed route, this trip is made in 2nd and 3rd gear mostly, probably around 1000 to 1500 rpms, will fall on its face almost every gear change, out of the truck and back by the exhaust when it was barely running, no smoke, could not smell raw fuel. It seems like it drops a cylinder for a while then drops another at that point I just turn the switch off and back on and it will slam your head against the rear window. Don't know about the ballast resistor, maybe someone on here can tell me if there is one on this truck.

17. ttc

ttc Active Member

Hmmm sounds like you have changed most the electronic parts that could cause an issue. Have you gone over the harness and checked the plugs and grounds.

18. arrow

arrow New Member

Solution,,,, Finally after a year and many hundreds of dollars. There is a sensor in the exhaust manifold, it has two wires coming from it, I cut the wires, twisted them together, tied them to the frame. Seven days and I have driven the heck out of it, no problems.

19. ttc

ttc Active Member

oxygen sensor? you probably want that