1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S210P Diff Lock mod done!!!

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by Inane2, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Inane2

Inane2 Member

Hey guys,

Got my diff lock mod finished! It's actually been done awhile, my brother came over and helped me the Sunday of Labor Day weekend. It's been a month, but just now really getting time to post it all. I'm working with my 2001 Hijet. I absolutely wanted diff lock when I was shopping around but it proved somewhat hard to find. Spring came along, I had already sold my Mule, and I needed a truck so I bought my Hijet (without diff lock). From the moment I unloaded it, I vowed to make this mod happen. I'll apologize in advance for the lengthy post but I'm just trying to cover the main parts. I have access to a four post lift in a shop that I work at part time, so the photos were taken from some really good angles.

Step one was obviously getting the parts. I am stickler for details so my goal was to make this mod as OEM as possible. I bought an axle from a 2000 S210P that had been wrecked in the front left :

[​IMG][​IMG]

Thanks to David and Rika over at minitruckdealer.com for the help with purchasing / shipping this axle! This pic is after I steamed it off. Notice the vacuum lines for the diff lock actuator are completely there. The park brake cables and the rear brake line were cut so I reused my original ones.

Here are the smaller parts I bought locally :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A = 5' piece of 3/16" OD brake line (to be used as vacuum line)
    B = Two 1.5" conduit clamps with the mounting holes welded in
    C = 3' of 3/16" ID vacuum line
    D = Two 3/16" line tees

Here are the rest of the parts that are OEM from Daihatsu :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A = 4-way tee
    B = Double wishbone clamp that holds 2 vacuum lines (ended up not using it)
    C = Double line retaining clip (2x)
    D = Vacuum line breather, plugs into frame
    E = Single line clip (2x), snaps into the frame
    F = Vacuum line filter

Here is the vacuum swith valve. My dad made the mount for it. It's a piece of 1.5" c-channel. The two mounting holes for the VSV are drilled with nuts welded on the back. Hopefully I won't be fooling with it later, but if so, won't have to worry about the nuts spinning. There is also a hole drilled in the top where the wiring harness retaining pin will snap into.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a parts diagram with the parts I ordered :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also bought the OEM diff lock switch. All the wiring for this mod is there (other than the first gear switch, more later). The connector for the dash switch is taped up under the dash, the connectors for the VSV are taped up near the gas tank.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  2. Inane2

Inane2 Member

Diff lock install (part 2)

:pop:

Drove the truck to the shop and got it on the lift. Used the jack within the lift to pick up the rear of the truck. Removed the wheels and the brake drums. At this point, I had to unhook the parking brake cables. I left the brake shoes in place, just removed 2 retaining pins, rotated the assembly around and used some long needle nose pliers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Unbolt shocks from axle housing, unbolt driveshaft, and remove u-bolts. Then I separated the brake line at the connection on the axle. Had the axle on a tranny jack, let it down and moved it out of the way. Here is a shot from where the axle used to be :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So far, so good, nothing major. The next step involved some engineering. Special thanks to Acerguy!!! He took pics of his stock diff lock setup which gave me everything I needed to work with. Keith, I hope I didn't let you down!

When I looked into what I needed at this point, apparently there are two different crossmembers used in the Hijets, with or without diff lock. The diff lock crossmember has the mount for the VSV and two mounts for the vacuum lines. I really didn't feel like cutting out my crossmember to install one with the factory mounts, so I copied them. My brother welded up the VSV mount and the 2 conduit clamps :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Installed the 2 single line clips to the inside of the left frame rail, the holes are already punched, just snapped them in.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

At this point, we installed the diff lock axle and bolted everything back up. Filled the diff with 80W-90. Now, I had to plumb everything up. I first removed the 3-way tee and replaced it with the 4-way tee at the vacuum connection on the left frame rail, near the muffler. I attached a short piece of rubber line that will meet up with the metal line :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Used the metal brake line and a tubing bender to make up the metal vacuum line that runs all the way up to the VSV. This was a slower part of the process as it took a lot of measuring and test fitting. Here is the line ready to be installed :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now if you remember, factory diff lock only works in 1st gear and reverse. The reverse detection switch is already there but the first gear isn't. Again thanks to Keith for the info :

http://www.minitrucktalk.com/showthread.php?t=11762

So here is my first gear indicator :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here it is installed :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm going to make this a little neater later. By jumping this connector, you can have diff lock in any gear.

Everything's done! :D

3. Inane2

Inane2 Member

Diff lock install (part 3)

:pop:

Here are some pics of the finished product :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I hope to clean it up a bit by adding a mounting bracket for the thicker vacuum lines coming from the diff lock actuator. You can see a small plate welded to the crossmember here in Acerguy's stock photo :

[​IMG]

That will be a little trickier as I will have to cut out 2 hexagonal shaped holes to allow the connections to be made through that plate.

And to finish it up with the tailgate badge of honor :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    SUPER DIFF LOCK! :cool:

[​IMG]

It was a great way to hang out with my brother and enjoy some cold barley pops. Basically, it took an afternoon and we finished up after supper. The absolute hardest part of the install was bleeding the rear brakes. The brake lines cross over to one another so there is only one bleeder for the whole rear brakes. It was on the left wheel cyclinder I believe. I used the drums and brake shoes that were already on the "new" axle so I didn't need to adjust them. Parking brake was fine. But it took forever to get those rear brakes to bleed out. We even filled the master cyclinder, cracked open the bleeder and left it when we went to supper. When we came back, it hadn't dripped a single drop. We finally got the brakes bled and they work great. The diff lock function works perfectly as well. It made the install alot nicer being that the OEM connectors were all there, just taped out of the way.

Special thanks to David and Rika for helping me purchase and ship the axle! These guys were very nice and great to work with, I highly recommend them. Thanks!

Special thanks to Acerguy! He took a panaromic shot, via multiple photos, of the underneath of his truck, showing me all the stock diff lock setup. Couldn't have done it without ya' Keith. Thanks!

Tony Evers likes this.
  4. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

excellent post and job..:)

5. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

man, thats awesome! hard to believe the chasis was different. thanks for posting the details. Keep up the great work!

6. Inane2

Inane2 Member

Thanks Fupa and Greg!

I was pleased to get this mod finished. It did involve quite a bit of research which always seems like the slow part. Once I had acquired all the parts in my garage, it was killing me waiting for an opportunity to do it. Since there is such a learning curve with these kei trucks, it's always interesting working on them.

BTW, this mod could have been done with far fewer parts. Basically, if you had the rear end and VSV, everything else could be made to work, especially the plumbing and plumbing routing. You could basically run all rubber underneath and just zip tie everything up. A simple toggle switch would have worked as well.

I believe I had read an earlier post (about either a Mitsu or Suzuki) where someone had done a rear diff lock swap and I believe they actually had to replace a 4wd controller to allow it to work. I can' tell you how excited I was to find the wiring all in place on my truck. I've seen that here with our domestic vehicles, one wiring harness for all trim models and the extra connectors capped and taped off.

7. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Naw, you did it right. No corners cut.

It's nice to see this caliber of work being done. You spend a few hundred bucks more...and a cupple weeks in planning, and it means a world of difference.

"Doing it right", nice job.[​IMG]

8. erixun

erixun Member

Very cool! Nice post. You will have to keep us posted on how it works in the field, but judging by the quality work, you wont have any issues!

9. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Wow. Just amazing, Jamie. Well done! And now I know what that sticker on my tailgate means. :D

And I'm still amazed how clean your truck is. :p

10. socsmm6

socsmm6 Member

I am guessing that the diff lock makes the rear end pull positive when engauged, not limited slip. have you driven the truck on a black top road with the diff lock engauged? if so did it have any ill effects like handling issues or tire chirpping when turning?

11. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB Member

Very nice!

12. Inane2

Inane2 Member

Thanks Bob! Glad it's done, I had researched this mod to death!

SOCSMM6, you are correct. This is a mechanical lock and both axle shafts turn together at the same speed. When you engage it, you have to allow for the gears to mesh up. I haven't driven it on the road with the diff lock engaged.

I do imagine it would chirp the tires while turning. I can only see using it in R, 1st and possibly 2nd. However, since I bypassed the gear indicators, this little Hijet might do some Tokyo drifting in a higher gear.

13. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

Nice post even thou its not a suzuki I'm guess most of it will be a lot like when I do mine on the Mazda/ suzuki

14. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

Any chance u have a part number from your vacuum valves I went to the part store (was getting some stuff I needed) and told them I was looking for a vacuum valve and what I needed it for they looked at me like I was from mars

15. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Try "dorman VSV #911-605"
    Jegs seems to have the lowest price, pickup a third if you plan to run meth later...that's how I know about them.

16. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

Thank you spaner ill post my next question on my thread don't want steal his

17. Inane2

Inane2 Member

Sorry for the delay Johnny, but it looks like spaner has good info.

The VSV I used is an OEM Daihatsu part that came from a dealer. After getting the part in hand, I believe you can find one of a Toyota truck / SUV (here in the states) just like it.

I'm sure I can dig up the OEM Daiahstu number if you ever need it.

18. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

No thanks thou I'm gonna try what spaner said

19. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

I have a couple stock air valves if your interested. If have tolook. I don't think I have the harness part.

20. Terry270

Terry270 New Member

Really enjoyed reading the thread. Was really hoping to see the pictures though. Are they gone for everyone else as well?

Hey Inane2, where in Ky are you? I'm in Cub Run ;)

21. WestEndAngler

WestEndAngler Member

x2 was hoping for photos...

22. Inane2

Inane2 Member

Hey guys, I've had a few requests for the pics. I went back in and added the original photos to an album stored here on the forum. I tried to clean up the posts as good as possible but there is still some extra breaks, etc in there.

Big time inconvenience for Photo Bucket to not allow sharing with their free accounts. That totally jacked up alot of the posts I created years ago.

23. Inane2

Inane2 Member

Forgot to mention, you have to be logged in to view the pics.