1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S210-P transmission stuck in 4th gear

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by dpsrmag, May 23, 2013.

1. dpsrmag

dpsrmag Member

My S210-P has a new clutch. Several months old and has been working normally. This is a typical 5 speed trans. It seems to be stuck in 4th gear and won't move from there. The clutch does seem to still work. Press down on the clutch and the truck will start and let off on the clutch and it's like you were trying to start moving in a gear that is too high (it will move and pull normally in the 4th gear) The truck was not moving when this happened. The person Driving said that they had just backed up and was moving to a forward gear when it got stuck. "I have not decided why 4th gear would have been involved in this process..... but that's all I could get out of my 14 yr old nephew that does chores on our farm in this truck"

I have removed the engine cover in the bed and checked the two shift cables as well as removing the clutch inspection rubber cover thing and looked in that. The clutch works normally when looking in through that place. The shift cables both are working normally (not broken) they just won't move anything. I removed the two cables from the shift linkage on the top side of the trans. The shift stick inside of the truck will then move in all directions, so there is nothing wrong with the shift stick or the cables. Then I tried to move the linkage where the cables would attach if they were connected. It's stuck. I was afraid to hammer on it.

What should I try next? I had wondered if I should try to remove the linkage plate from the top of the trans so I could look in and maybe see where it is bound up. I have never done that before and thought I should ask before I took if off and something sprang out or something like that.

Thank You in advance for any ideas. :frustration:

2. broncobeast66

broncobeast66 New Member

This is the same problem I have with my s110p. I took mine to a mechanic hopefully I will know something in a day or two.

3. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

Pull the plate where shifter is on trans. and look inside. See if you can shift it manual with
    a screw driver with plate off.
    It could be something simple or a shifting fork is bent/broken ect.
    These trans. are pretty tough. Six + yrs of messing with these trucks I only remember two bad trans.
    There should be a clip that is bolted to the bell housing area (drivers side) which holds the shift cable. Ive had one truck that lost this clip and it prevented the cable from shifting. For the time being we just zip tied it until we got a new clip.

4. bobjonah

bobjonah Active Member

I just had the same problem with my S83P Jumbo. I took the top plate off for a look-see, and the top arm was totally jammed with corrosion. A bit of heat and gentle hammer work loosened it. A lot of corrosion came off, and with a bit of oil it is working fine again. Just waiting for new cables now and it should be fine.

Bob Jonah

5. dpsrmag

dpsrmag Member

I had to drop the whole transmission on mine. Not enough room between the top plate and the bed floor to see or work. There was no corrosion but the top left to right linkage was jammed I was able to get it to pop free using a screw driver and pushing left while I pushed back with another one. Once it was loose then it started working normally again. I worried about it doing the same thing again but it never did. After some time and it didn't happen again I forgot about it but I still know how to fix it if it does it again.

6. bobjonah

bobjonah Active Member

All Joy now - new cables from Todd at www.minitrucks.ca and all is working properly. The cables arrived in two days from west coast to east coast by Canada Post ( yes, I could not believe it either ) and the price was great - Thanks to Todd.

Merry Christmas All!
    Bob Jonah

7. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

I've ordered a few parts from Todd in the past and was please with his service as well.