1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S110 4x4 question

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by jmcindric, Jul 20, 2021.

1. jmcindric

jmcindric New Member

My Hijet has a 4x4 button on the dash, no lever between the seats. No light has ever come on in the instrument cluster to tell me it was engaged. When the button is in the on position (out) I never really noticed a difference in the way that the truck drove (mostly driving on pavement). I began to question if the 4x4 was working. I changed all the vacuum lines and verified voltage to the vsv (?) under the passenger seat. Good vac a the solenoids and good voltage. Decided to jack the truck up on all 4 corners and put the truck in gear. The first time I tried it the rear wheels spun but not the front, put the truck in neutral turned on 4x4 put in gear and low and behold all 4 started spinning but still no light on dash, guessing it's burned out(?).

So here is my question...what is the proper procedure for engaging 4x4? Have truck in neutral, hit button, put it in gear and go? or do you shift on the fly?

2. Mini_hijet

Mini_hijet Member

Following!

3. Roadster

Roadster Active Member

Mine will not engage when I press the 4WD button unless I am travelling under about 10 kph. I think it is best to stop, press the button; it goes into 4WD and the light comes on the dash once you start moving . That light on the dash (red) is quite hard to see when on. When direct light hits the dash, I thought my light wasn't coming on either. It will not come on (or engage) if the button is pushed and you are going more than about 10kph. Also, I noticed when it is below freezing and you are starting from cold, it takes a few feet of movement before the 4WD engages and the light comes on which makes sense...

Limestone likes this.
  4. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

On mine it only engages ain first and second gear, when in height range. Not sure on how it works on the automatics.

When I shift into low range it stays engaged in all the gears. I read somewhere, (probably here on the forum), that you shouldn’t run teh 4wd above25-mph. which would make sense, that is about all the higher ou want to rev 2nd gear, in high range. And in low range you get nervous about over Erving time engine at a bout 25 or 30-mph, even in 5th.

5. Roadster

Roadster Active Member

Hmm... I've never tried to run in 4wd at any speed above about 20mph - I'll have to try that and see if the 4wd turns off if I shift into 3rd, and if so, if it is linkage, RPM or speed related...

6. Clauss

Clauss New Member

My 95 has a green light on the dash that comes on when you engage the 4x4. I used to only engage it when stopped, but later found out it will engage when I'm moving at low speeds too. I've only tried it in first and second gear.

7. Roadster

Roadster Active Member

Hmm... the 4WD light on my dash is also green, not red as previously stated - not sure what I was thinking.

DEG95DH likes this.
  8. DEG95DH

DEG95DH Member

Green light. FWIW, the color of dash lights are usually indicative of what they are trying to communicate. E.g., red is bad, yellow is caution, green is informative. Only the blue high beam indicator is odd, probably because it's been around forever, before there were even warning lights of any sort!

upload_2022-1-4_14-31-53.png

9. Jigs-n-fixtures

Based on my experience, you can lock in the axles while moving. But, can not change from hi to low range or from low to high, unless at a full stop. Just like on a big truck.

10. Roadster

Roadster Active Member

Has Daihatsu ever given any indication of a top speed limit using 4WD high range (assuming of course being on a dirt, gravel or snow covered road so there is no danger of torque lock-up)? I've never had mine above about 40 kph (25mph) in 4WD; it seems fine at that speed, however it would be good to know if there is some reason not to go faster...

11. Jigs-n-fixtures

I read somewhere, maybe here, maybe elsewhere, that in high range you are limited to 1st, 2nd, and reverse, the shift mechanism has switches to disengage the 4wd above that. And, that in low range you have 4wd in all gears. Which would mean 25-mph, 30-mph if you really turn some revs, in 2nd gear high range. And about the same in 5th gear, low range.

12. Roadster

Roadster Active Member

Thanks, Jigs... I don't have a low range on mine... we are getting a snow dump tonight so if I get a chance tomorrow, I'll check and see if it cuts the 4WD out in 3rd and above.

13. Jigs-n-fixtures

We had 14-inches of fresh powder yesterday, and I left mine in 4-High all day. Didn’t seem to bother it up to about 35. I couldn’t tell if it cut out above 2nd. Only got to third, and it was snowing constantly. They plowed the parking lot at work at 0700 and tried to keep it clear until about 0830, before they gave up and parked the equipment until about noon. It was really dumping.

The forecast was another 6-inches last night. I haven’t looked out the window yet to see what we got. There was very fine poseder falling at 2200 when I went t to bed.

14. Roadster

Roadster Active Member

We got about 10 inches of powder last night... the truck works well in it. Got it up to about 30 mph in third; I put it in 4th and 4WD didn't cut out. I need to be stopped or less than about 3 mph to get 4WD to engage. I think it is best to stop completely. If I start out in 2nd and while it still engages at very low speed, it won't engage above that, so I suspect the cut-out is speed related and not transmission-gear related? I wonder where the sensor is? Speedo? Crankshaft? Distributor? This truck doesn't have FI or any computer to trigger from, and I've not run into a sensor I don't know about...yet!

Roadster

15. Jigs-n-fixtures

I think it is through the position switches on the transmission, or in the shifter mechanism.

16. Roadster

Roadster Active Member

You could be right; I'll do some more experimenting!