1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Runs great until warm

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by MRCapps, Jan 4, 2017.

1. MRCapps

MRCapps New Member

I use this little truck on the farm everyday and couldnt imagine life without it. The truck runs great with no problems except one. After it has warmed up, it likes to die when I take my foot off the gas. It will let me drive it all over but pretty often when I come to a stop it just turns off. No rough idle or anything. Actually just seems like the idle is set too low. How would I turn up the idle and could I have some other problem? Thanks

2. Minidrvr

Minidrvr New Member

What year/ make is your Sambar. Is it carbureted or EFI. Super charger?

3. MRCapps

MRCapps New Member

1990, Carburetor no super charger.

4. Minidrvr

Minidrvr New Member

OK. Looking at the top of your carb from the back of the truck, there should be a flat head screw on top of the carb toward the rear right side of the carb closest to you. That adjusts your idle. Clockwise=higher rpm. Hope this helps. The screw on the top toward the middle of the carb next to the intake is the idle air mixture.

5. MRCapps

MRCapps New Member

Thanks. I'm guessing I should let it get warmed up before adjusting the idle? Don't these have some sort of automatic electric high idle at first?

6. Minidrvr

Minidrvr New Member

Yep. It needs to be at normal operating temperature before adjustment. It has a temp controled idle plate that is on the right side of the carb. There is a coolant line going and coming out of the actuator. This can also be adjusted by a Phillips screw near the idle adjustment screw

7. MRCapps

MRCapps New Member

Thank you! That worked perfectly.

8. Minidrvr

Minidrvr New Member

Great to hear. Glad I could help.