1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rubber Bed Rail Caps

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by Mark Vaughan, May 20, 2020.

1. Mark Vaughan

Mark Vaughan Guest

I have tried searching online with no success... other than a few very old posts asking the same question (without an answer).

Is there a domestic source for a "functional" equivalent of the rubber bed rail protective caps? I have a Honda Acty, but I would assume many of the trucks share a similar part.

If there's no (known) domestic source, can someone direct me to a Japanese supplier for these? They have to be readily available in the markets where these trucks were sold .

Thanks in advance..!

Mark

2. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

I'm not sure that there is a required need, or want for them over seas! I could be wrong, but have you seen them, for the mini trucks? i used them in the past in the states, but that was for a wider bed rail top, about 5 inches wide, and very able lengths!
    Limestone

3. Mark Vaughan

Mark Vaughan Guest

Most of the trucks that I have seen imported (including my Acty) have them. Perhaps you are thinking of something different, but I'm referring to the black rubber U-Channel bits that protect the top of the bed sides and tailgate.

Mine are serviceable, but somewhat brittle. I'll be taking them off to repaint and I'm not going to be eager to put them back on.

Attached Files:

4. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

Okay, yeah, your correct, I'm not, familiar with the smaller ones available, for these. Maybe some of these other Japanese sights on the other post's that the other guy's use would have them! Maybe ttc can weigh in, or you can send him a personal message and ask him, I think he uses a foreign supplier, and he might know!
    Limestone

5. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

I know what your asking about, and spent a bout a month online hunting for them a couple of different times.

I ended up buying some universal ones for American trucks off Amazon. I spent some time pounding tin in body shops when I was a kid, so I went with them and made them work. It was more of a pain than the correct ones of correct ones for minitrucks would have been, and involved a heat gun and sharp knife.

After pulling the plastic end caps off the rails, I washed off the bed rails with mineral spirits twice, to get off any old wax which could interfere with adhesion, and applied the moulding to the top of the rails. Then after I cut notches where the tie downs are, I rolled it down around the rails.

This involved heating it hot enough I needed gloves to touch it, and using blocks of wood, cut to fit between the tie down hooks and clamps, to keep it in place while it cooled, rolled it down onto the bottom of the rails.

This is what I used: Pacer Performance 21-108 Black Railguard https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00029X0WE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_MOMXEbBD9TDZN

And; Pacer Performance 21-106 Black Rail Guard Kit Short bed Pickup - 4 Piece https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CPABU2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_6XMXEbZ1E57JS

I actually bought them in the reverse order, of how I listed them. I needed the smaller front trim piece in the four piece kit to do the front of my bed because the dump trucks have a front of the bed attached. On a standard truck, you can probably get by with just the rail guard kit. And one of these: Pacer Performance 21-105 Black 6' Tailgate Rail Guard Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00029X0W4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_b3MXEbTNY0MB8

Lesson learned in the install, was that it would probably been easier to do, if I had Taken the bedsides and tailgate off and laid a piece of plywood down on the bed to work on, instead of installing with them in place. And, cut the strips about an inch over length, and trim them to length after installation.

You could also try contacting the mini truck parts sources in North America by email. They sometimes have things they sell, which they they haven't listed on their sites.

I’ll try to get out after it gets light out, and get a couple of pictures I can post.

08467362-0C2E-4CDD-AE5A-1C30E3FD8EA4.jpeg

It didn’t adhere as well as I’d hoped. As soon as it warms up a bit, I’ll get some 3M Trim Adhesive, and re-glue them and keep the clamps on for 24-hours. That should make them pretty much permanent.

Last edited: May 21, 2020
    MaxJonosity and Limestone like this.
  6. ttc

ttc Active Member

I have found them in the past think the ones I found where around 100 bucks.