1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rough shifting

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by Dillon Nunes, Aug 6, 2019.

1. Dillon Nunes

Dillon Nunes New Member

I have a 1994 Sambar 5 speed manual with extra low. 35,000kms on it. Shifting from 1st to 2nd is usually pretty rough. It usually pops into gear with a slight grind sometimes. Shifting 2nd to 3rd is hit and miss. Sometimes smooth sometimes a pop into gear. Shifting into 4th or 5th is always smooth. Same with down shifting though all gears, never have a problem.

I recently changed the transmission oil to 80w90 mineral oil. It didn't seem to make a difference, if anything slightly worse. The oil that came out looked clean and not much for metal shavings on the drain plug.

Any ideas on what my problem may be? Thank you

2. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

Are you sure the clutch is working right?

3. Maximal

Maximal Active Member

hope you used GL-4 gear oil, because GL-5 has sulfur compounds that will absolutely chew synchros in old transmissions

otherwise ive never used 1st gear in these trucks, even trying a 1-2 shift feels notchy in every Sambar ive owned. i always take off in 2nd gear and barely if ever use 1st

4. Dillon Nunes

Dillon Nunes New Member

I'm pretty sure my clutch is working right as it shifts fine in other gears. Might be worth trying to adjust it and see.

I did use GL-5 gear oil. I only have out on maybe 150 kms though since the change. I didn't realize it was bad for it. The guy behind the counter said GL-5 can be used for GL-4 applications.

I usually start in 2nd too but still thought it should shift smoothly

5. Maximal

Maximal Active Member

GL-5 even if it says works with GL-4 cannot be used for GL-4 in older transmissions, is still has the sulfur in it that wears brass synchros. Have to use straight GL-4 gear oil only like Redline MT-90. if it had GL-5 before this as well, i can near guarantee the sulfur in the gear oil had a ball with the synchros and theyre worn causing the issues.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  6. Ohkei Dohkei

Ohkei Dohkei Active Member

You should be able to tighten your clutch cable a little bit and see if it gets better. Could be that your cable has stretched a little over the years.

7. Jigs-n-fixtures

The higher gears should be fully synchronized, and first may not be. Or if synchronized the synchronizer rings could be wearing. A slightly dragging clutch, which isn’t fully releasing, is noticed the most in the lower gears.

I used to have a roommate who was a line mechanic at a Toyota dealership. He specialized in clutches and transmissions. He would to get a couple of cars a week with 1-2 shifting problems, which were corrected by adjusting the clutch. On about half, he’d have to replace the clutch and resurface the flywheel, because they waited too long to come in.

I used to be able to shift my old Dodge from gear to gear without using the clutch, once I had it rolling, just by matching the rpm, as I went through neutral.

Easiest way to tell, is to start in first gear with the clutch depressed. Then shift to neutral and leave the clutch depressed for a about 30 to 40 seconds, and then shift back to first. If the clutch isn’t fully disengaging you will have spun up the transmission, and will hear a down shift whine, or grinding as you shift back into first.

Drain likes this.
  8. Dillon Nunes

Dillon Nunes New Member

Ok guys, I adjusted the clutch. It didn't need much adjustment though. Unfortunately it did not help my problem at all. I also replaced the oil back to GL-4.

Still has a popping/grind for the 1-2 and 2-3 shift. Downshifting has no grinding, but doesn't want to go into 2nd or first very easily.

How hard is it to find new synchros?

9. Jigs-n-fixtures

It could also be the pilot bearing which supports the transmission input shaft in the crank. If it is worn, the Input shaft can sag down enough when you depress the clutch, that is allows the friction plate to drag on the flywheel, and pressure plate. The clutch linkage freeplay, is adjusted correctly, but the clutch doesn’t actually fully disengage.

10. Bobacuda

Bobacuda Member

My 91’s trans shifted harder than I thought it should. Had hell finding the gear oil, till I checked out Royal Purple. Not cheap, but it made a HUGE difference in shifting and noise while driving. Worth the extra $ in my truck.

11. Maximal

Maximal Active Member

can try asking Yokohama motors if they have a source but might have to get a kit from Subaru

12. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

Unfortunately the Synchros have been discontinued by Subaru. I tried to order a set to keep as spares a month or so ago.

13. Dillon Nunes

Dillon Nunes New Member

I'm fairly confident the clutch is fully releasing. Other then the rough 1-2 and 2-3 shifts it doesn't have any symptoms of a partially engaged clutch.

I've tried a couple different oils, not royal purple though. You think it will make that much if a difference?

That's not good subaru discontinued these syncros. I can't find anything online either. No other aftermarket?

14. Maximal

Maximal Active Member

What's the code for the 6spd 4x4 trans? For the near 15 years the trans was used and the fleet level it was used, I cant imagine theres no synchro kits floating around

15. Ohkei Dohkei

Ohkei Dohkei Active Member

While rkrenicki's were discontinued, I'd recommend that you contact them with your vin # to make sure. I was told the rear axle parts on mine were no longer supported, while another member was able to get them for theirs.

16. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

That is a good point. there are several different versions of the transmission depending on engine type, 2wd/4wd, part time/full time 4wd, and truck or van. I specifically looked up the synchros for my 1992 Supercharged part-time 4WD sambar, and all but one was discontinued by Subaru. I think the one that was still available was the 1st/reverse synchro.

17. dan360

dan360 New Member

The synchros seem to, can't guarantee it, but SEEM to, have a bit of a lockout tendency to them. In other words, if you're shifting too quickly or at the wrong RPM it will feel harsher/rougher changing gears. I slowed down the gear change in mine and it helped a bunch.

18. Drain

Drain Supporting Moderator Supporting Moderator Supporting Member

Five year old thread but whatever, it popped up in Google search under "Subaru Sambar speed lockout".

I just did half the shifter cable bushings: Front Left (35035TC000), Front Right is the integrated nylon ring, Back Left (or lower) is the smaller bushing in good condition, Back Right (or top) was replaced with Perrin ‎PSP-INR-016.

I was hoping it would help my crunchy 1-2 shifting, but was only a mild improvement. I suspect that gears 1 and 2 just have a really aggressive speed lockout. 1st gear will only let me in if I am completely stopped, 2nd will only let me in at like 2 mph and around 1500 rpm. Since I run slightly larger tires I always start in 1st, so my shift sequence is like 1,2... 3... 4... ... 5.

I'll try adjusting the clutch next and report back.