1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

roof rack? has anyone had the headliner out in a sambar van?

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by kayakbrian, Oct 7, 2017.

1. kayakbrian

kayakbrian New Member

I'm doing a micro camper van conversion on a 91 sambar I just picked up, so I imagine I'll be a bit of a pain around here for a few months. I'll try not to put up more than one thread a day. And yes, I am using the search function. The good news is that we plan to photo and video document all of the modifications and simple engine repairs etc, so maybe it will help some people out!

One of the things I like to do when I build out a van is throw some solar panels on the roof, an extra battery, and a small inverter. I noticed the sambar has a vinyl headliner that seems to just tuck in at the seams and it's in great condition, I've never pulled one like this before and I don't want to mess it up so I can get it back in! I'm hoping to run some electrical under there and drill for rack mounts, and then close it back up. Has anyone pulled one of these? what exactly am I looking at under there? can it be reinstalled cleanly? Other options for rack mounting? I saw Colin had modified a rack but the pic's were gone. Any advice is helpful, thank you! Girlfriend is working on a website so hopefully photos soon!