Roll-On bedliner

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by alberry05, Jul 9, 2008.

1. alberry05

alberry05 Member

Has anyone ever used then roll on bedliner material such as Herculiner? I have heard completely conflicting stories...some say it works really well and others say don't even use it. I checked with my local Line-X dealer and he wanted $500-$600 to do the inside of the box and the back of the cab! Seemed like alot to me. The last full sive pickup we had done by him was $350, and the Hijet is alot smaller cubic feet wise than a Silverado. The reason I ask is I think I can do the roll on for under $100 and a little bit of elbow grease. Am I wrong?

2. steelyron

steelyron Member

Yep... just finished using Herculiner on mine. With one kit,I did the entire bed and sides. I also did the undercarriage and gas tank and springs. It looks good to me and feel sure it will hold up. My brother did his Rhino's three or four years ago, and they still look good.

A pro may come along and find fault with it, but I'd do it again...

3. Ravk

Ravk Member

As long as the bed is prepped properly. Remove wax, oil, grease etc. with a solvent, rough up the surface with a good grit sandpaper or skuffing pad, clean it again then paint it with liner, you will be good to go.

My first attempt at the roll on liner didn't go so good. I just rolled it on with no prep and it peeled within 6 months (sold the truck).

The second attempt worked out great. 2 years and no peeling.

4. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

i agree with ravk everyone i know that was dissatisfied didn't prep it right... that's the key to any paint really.

on another note the high price for the line-x is for all the prep work they have to do. considering the make-up of the bed, there is a lot more work involved with taping and masking than a standard truck box, not to mention anything out of the ordinary tends to carry extra fees.

5. glenn

glenn Member

Two spray cans from crappy tire (canadians know this lingo)...the key is prep work...wet scrub with the pad and spray away...cost...$20.00

glenn

6. 4Wheelin

4Wheelin Member

I rolled the Herculiner on mine and it only took one kit as well. I spent about half a day prepping it. I dont see it peeling or even being scraped off any time soon. I had enough to do the frame, door jams, and the back and top of the cab too. I put on 3 coats. The kit is 1 gallon. $ 89.00 at Advace Auto Parts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
  7. prdjim

prdjim Member

8. John Canfield

John Canfield Member

Related thread...

I started a related thread a few weeks ago here.

9. mitsu911

mitsu911 Member

Prep is the key.

10. Meesho

Meesho Member

Herculiner is the only good roll-on kit, all other brands are garbage (EX: Princess Auto Kit, Canadian Tire Kit etc).

11. John Canfield

John Canfield Member

My Herculiner bed is about six months old now and it has held up amazingly well. Couldn't be happier with the product.

12. zardoz

zardoz Member

I used the "Duplicolor" kit...

From Princess Auto... did a TON of prep work and have ZERO problems with it. 24 hours after it was applied my dog got into the bed and didn't even mark the lining... she has some VERY aggressive nails, I was at first concerned that she'd tear through and scratch down to the base... but NO WAY... NO HOW. The best part was the cost... 44 bucks for a gallon kit! (on sale)

Prep, prep... PREP! That's the key to success IMHO ;)

z

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  13. Meesho

Meesho Member

The stuff from Princess Auto is pure garbage. There is a reason why they are giving it away.

14. John Canfield

John Canfield Member

I think it would take an air hammer and a lot of time to blast through my Herculiner - the mixture is amazingly tough and tenacious.

15. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

Herculiner you bet. I am pleased. Ive done 10 + trucks so far. Only had one that turned out looking like crap. That was the first one. prep,prep,prep. Follow the directions.

16. zardoz

zardoz Member

Hate to pop yur bubble....

but... I had a load of gravel on last week... shoveled it off... not ONE scratch in my "Duplicolor" bed liner... the key is PREP! I only have my first coat of Duplicolor on my bed and it held up just fine...time to do the second coat now ;)

z