1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rim Off Set

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by rico, Mar 5, 2008.

1. rico

rico New Member

Hello I'm new to the forum, glad to find you guys! I'm thinking of using rims that are 2 in 5 out, but wondering if that is to much for these little parts, also has any one used the swampwitch tire and if so are the rough riding on pavement.

2. Caleb Roth

Caleb Roth Member

Good question, I have wandered about that offset aswell.
    You may have to have a lift on your truck for those wheels not to rub.
    I'm not sure about those tires, but if you are gonna run on the road I would look for a tire that wont wear out quick. My titan 489'[s do fine on the road once you get past 5mph but my front tires are already bald in just a month or two while my back tires still have 3/4 tread, (these tires were new when i got them).

3. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to the board. You need 5" of backspacing or 5 in 2 out. Some members also use 4 in 3 out. Need to get as much tire under the truck as possible. I have Maxxis Bighorns on mine and they are rough on the pavement at low speeds (< 10mph).

-Greg

4. Caleb Roth

Caleb Roth Member

Greg,
    Can you explain why the more tire under the truck the better?
    I figured that the more they stuck out the more stability you would have.
    I definately dont wanna tear anything up.
    thanks,:confused:

5. Archer-Andy

Archer-Andy Member

Thanks for posting this question rico! I was wondering the same thing myself.

6. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

There are a few reasons. Main one being that the tire tends to interfer with the front wheel well with the wide offset, its not inline with the pivot point. In other words it gives the wheel/tire more of a forward/backwark movement when you turn the wheel. Next it puts less stress on balljoints steering components, makes it easier to turn in rough terrain. Also helps with rocks and debris from breaking mirrors and windows. On my truck the tires do stick out alot more than stock with a 5-2 offset.

-Greg

Last edited: Mar 5, 2008
  7. Caleb Roth

Caleb Roth Member

Smart thinking thanks for your response

8. rico

rico New Member

Thanks for your help