1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

right hand drive sticker and police

Discussion in 'News and Site Support' started by packrat, Jul 23, 2009.

1. packrat

packrat Member

Just a heads up in Toronto. I was stopped this morning by one of Metros finest. First thing he said was "nice truck" Then he proceeded to give me a $110 ticket for not having a sticker saying that the vehicle is a right hand drive. No warning or anything. When I asked him what this sticker was supposed to look like, he had no idea, or what it should say on it, or where to find this information. Now I have to spend time in court and hopefully get it thrown out. Glad he had time to do this for me taking time out of his busy schedule at the donut shop

2. packrat

packrat Member

Just looked up the Ontario highway traffic act, and buried way down in it is the following.

" Every vehicle that is equipped with a right hand drive shall, unless it is equipped with a mechanical or electrical signal device as described in subsection 142 (6), have prominently displayed on the rear thereof, in bold face letters of not less than 50 millimetres in height and of a colour which is in contrast to that of the vehicle, the words,

“RIGHT HAND DRIVE VEHICLE”.

Be warned, they will come looking for you.

3. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

this is completely unfounded, but my guess is to alert other drivers that you have different blind spots than the "normal" cars on the road. do i think it's ridiculous? yes. do i understand how it might help avoid an accident? yes.

4. Mighty Milt

i just cracked my second beer in the last 3 hours, so i know i'm still thinking clearly... it will be more clear in a couple hours when i'm done with my 6er though.

have you made a left turn? how bad is that for blind spots? my blind spots were no worse than in a LHD vehicle but when you consider you have a different vantage point while there are blind spots, they are different blind spots.

adn your idea about the police knowing which side to approach is valid. when i got pulled over they approached my wife and then came around to my side. so it may be a driving safety thing as well as police safety thing.

but these are just the thoughts of a dumb welder who is a high school drop out... no master's degree to cloud my judgement, i just calls them how i sees them :D

5. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

that is the stupidest ticket i have every heard of!!! you would think that would be on the safety inspection checklist then.

can you link us to the online source? Also do you think they would enforce that to out of province trucks?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
  6. confuzed

confuzed Member

Just a thought..... industrial type trucks Grarbage ect have that notice on them but i didn't think they would carry it to our little trucks.What next? a slow moving triangle when i go out on the highway?

7. packrat

packrat Member

Well, another day, and I'm heading off again. Still haven't put a sticker on the truck. I just hope they don't tazer me as a repeat offender. Actually, I'm wondering if there's enough room on the tailgate for the sticker, what with all the stock stickers there.

8. misterturbo

misterturbo Member

You do realize that this is a bogus ticket that the OPP are willfully giving??

A lot of my customers have been getting this bogus ticket this year in Ontario.

Why is it bogus? In that law, it tells you to refer to subsection 142 (6).. If you read that subsection:

"(6) A mechanical or electrical signal device shall clearly indicate the intention to turn, shall be visible and understandable during day-time and night-time from the front and from the rear of the vehicle for a distance of 30 metres, and shall be self-illuminated when used at any time from one-half hour after sunset to one-half hour before sunrise. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 142 (6)."

Sooo.. Unless you have a RHD from the 1900s which doesn't have an electrical turn signal (ie. light) than you wouldn't be applicable to this law.

The OPP KNOW this is bogus because each of these cops have the traffic law book in their cruiser. Its just a tactic to annoy RHD owners.. Which will backfire huge when the judges go ballistic when these cases eventually hit the courts.

My suggestion, which my customers now follow is to photocopy this section/subsection from the highway traffic law book (in the library or purchase the book itself) and throw it in the cops face next time you get a ticket.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
  9. thefuzz783

thefuzz783 Member

" Every vehicle that is equipped with a right hand drive shall, unless it is equipped with a mechanical or electrical signal device as described in subsection 142 (6), have prominently displayed on the rear thereof, in bold face letters of not less than 50 millimetres in height and of a colour which is in contrast to that of the vehicle, the words, RIGHT HAND DRIVE VEHICLE."

Yep, what misterturbo said....the key word in that law is "unless". It essentially says if you have a RHD that does not have turn signals, then you must have the sticker.

But obviously all mini trucks have turn signals, unless yours has been modified, so the law does not apply.

10. packrat

packrat Member

I didn't get time to find the subsection last night, so thanks for finding it. By the way, it wasn't the OPP, it was Toronto's finest who felt like standing out in the rain yesterday morning. I will take a copy of the law with me however when I take it down to court.

11. larryn2o

larryn2o Member

mine is a one seat truck , so would i need two stickers?

if you don't mind being called a Cajun , you could move down here. we have micro lobsters! and you can drive anything!

12. They are afraid the other drivers will PANIC when they see just a "PASSENGER" in a moving vehicle WITHOUT a driver...:rolleyes::D

OR WORSE they will think they are being "PUNKED"...:D

13. misterturbo

misterturbo Member

Interestingly enough, I got pulled over today by a cop who proceeded to tell me that I didn't have a RHD sticker on the back and that it was required.. I told him that that law only applies to vehicles without mechanical or electric indicators and he said "I don't know anything about that" and dropped that topic like a hot potato.

However he did decide to give me a different ticket..

14. Ravk

Ravk Member

I had a friend on the "passenger side" playing with a steering wheel he bought at garage sale. Scared the hell out of the guy driving a big truck beside us when he yelled and held up whe wheel with a scared expression on his fase. Priceless!!!
    Here in Alberta, I have been stopped twice. Once to see if it really was registered, and another time for the steering wheel stunt (the truck driver was a cop, still priceless!)

Robert

15. BC_MMC

BC_MMC Member

So in BC we have to have yearly inspections on these. Guess where the inspector puts the sticker, on the right hand side of the windshield partway down.
    If I wasn't 6' 2" it would be right in my line of vision.

16. Mighty Milt

you mean like this??

17. Ravk

Ravk Member

Yep, just like that!

18. Stuff99

I have been SO tempted to get a fake wheel and do that!

19. Stuff99

so any updates on this bogus ticket/law they are pushing on you ontario guys?

20. packrat

packrat Member

So far no more tickets, even without a sticker. I wasn't able to have the ticket thrown out because the prosecutors were on strike in Toronto. Now I have to wait (and wait) for a court date in Toronto to have the whole thing thrown out. What a system.

21. Stuff99

oh fun...

well im rootin for ya

22. rightdrive

rightdrive Member

If you take the ticket to court it will be thrown out.
    All you have to do is be able to prove that you electronic signals (which you do).

The sticker is not mandatory, but gives some insurance againts these kinds of police actions.

WE put them on all of our vehicles just in case, but in no way are they mandatory for your mini truck (again, assuming you have turn signals).

Many police officers, although great in my opininon, do not know the MOT codes fully and ocne in a while this happens when it should not.

23. BC_MMC

BC_MMC Member

Harassment of RHD vehicles in Ontario seems to be real. It made the news on this week's driving.ca site.
    While not mentioning mini-trucks specifically, the headline reads "RHD Vehicles Not Worth The Effort"

I have no trouble at all here in Northern BC. Most of my encounters with the RCMP have been curious members of the Force who want one.

24. Tinytoy

Tinytoy Member

That is here in Saskatoon, I have been driving mine every day for 18 months and never been questioned once..... I dont drive like a tit either....:eek:

25. Stuff99

i saw a few behing quinn the eskimo's place in stoon. is he selling them to?

26. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

This law regarding RHD sticker is only applicable if you do NOT have turn signals! Simply put, the law is to warn drivers behind you to look for hand signals regarding intention to turn. This law was only to warn about hand signals usually done with the left hand(obviously not do-able in a Rt hand drive vehicle)

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  27. Tinytoy

Tinytoy Member

You need to take a look at where this is happening. In Canada they are legal:rolleyes: No one is talking about bypassing any law here we are just venting over others ignorance.:pop:

28. MiniBrutes

MiniBrutes Member

Yes, RHD targetting happens in every province. Certain "people" in positions of power pushing their "opinion" on the general public. If a cop EVER expresses ANY dislike or unwant of RHD to me, I am going right to his supervisor and asking for suspension.

A cop's opinion has no place when he is at work. It should only be the LAW. To say anything against RHD shows the cop has bias and should not EVER be conducting traffic stops on RHD vehicles. By having bias he can not be impartial and anything he does in that case would be easy to have thrown out in court.

Again, I appreciate the work some police do, but I do not appreciate the absurd level of not knowing WTF is going on their part. Too much inconsistency. I have been pulled over for several "violations" which I knew were not violations. They didnt even make it to court as the prosecuter throws them out.

29. olddatsunfan

olddatsunfan Member

I guess I should feel fortunate that in my 5 weeks of driving a RHD vehicle, I haven't been pulled over by anyone. Mind, I'm usually well within the posted speed limit ...

30. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

Legislation is the bane of modern society...every time a new regulation/law/rule goes onto the books the cost to taxpayers is incredible..new manuals have to be written covering the application of said rule,training has to be provided for the enforcement of it, sometimes new people have to be employed. Cops end up as a cost saving measure for municipalities to dump enforcement of new laws on. Every politician who suggests a new law/regulation should have to also submit another law to be removed from the books,then the antiquated useless laws/rules that are still around can be trashed. it's also illegal to enter a covered bridge on horseback while wearing a top hat and eating an apple...lol