1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rifle rack inside cab

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks' started by jsize26, May 24, 2009.

1. jsize26

jsize26 New Member

Does anyone have any ideas about installing a rifle rack or holder inside the cab of the truck.

2. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

would there be room in a non jumbo cab? the head rests are usually mounted to the rear wall of the cab as is.

3. 93mit

93mit Member

On the ceiling

4. Stuff99

my truck could do it cause its kind of a jumbo cab, has the small windows behind the doors, hmm... redneck it out...?

5. MiniBrutes

MiniBrutes Member

Yeah, or a high-roof non jumbo. Had a couple Subies with the high roof.

However, I know I wouldnt want anything mounted to the interior roof of my truck. Headroom is great as it is, but I wouldnt want any less personally.

6. maryswells

maryswells Member

I have one in the ceiling of my '96 Mits truck, works great, although I'm only 5' 6''. Got it at Cabela's. I did however have to cut it to fit in the narrower ceiling. I can send photo's if you'd like.Let me know. M Wells

7. jay woods

jay woods Member

Hey guys, don't know how to post pictures here on the forum but if anyone would like a picture of what I did I will be glad to send them to you via email and maybe someone can post them. Mounted it just above the dash....works better than I would ever have dreamed.

Jay

8. IndianaJason

IndianaJason Member

I have been going over a few ideas myself for my Suzuki. I always carry a gun in the truck, but with the limited space its always in the way, whether I have a passenger or not. I have an adjustable rubber coated metal 2-gun holder that is made to mount in the rear window of a truck. It will fit on either side of each headrest without being in the way of your head. However only one gun will work, as the lower gun will be right behind your head. Im 5'10" and it doesnt interfere. However, the length of the gun then becomes an issue in relation to the width of the cab towards the roof. I dont have any problem with my 10/22 with folding stock, or an M1 carbine...My AK-47 is about as long as I can go for everything to work out properly.

I have been thinking about mounting a "cargo-carrier" box enclosure (like on top of cars or mini vans) , a low profile one on top of the cab on the outside of the truck to put guns in when going out into the woods or whatever.

Post some pics of what you have done Ill be interested in seeing them.

Thanks.

Last edited: May 31, 2009
  9. Stuff99

im not a fan of drilling holes in my vehicles, but i am considering one now to... got some nice airsoft toys and need a place to put them when going for a few rounds of airsoft.

10. starpuss

starpuss Member

i am looking at makeing a inside mount , so i can put my robinson arms xcr inside the cab. ill post pic;s when it is done. (like this gun.)
    [​IMG]

11. wainair

wainair Member

That rifle would match my camo real nicely!

12. jay woods

jay woods Member

Just Posted pictures of my gun rack to Jason. If anyone is interested let me know. The gun pictures is a Browning a-bolt just to give you an idea how well it fits. Plenty of room. I have been through places most probally would not go and it has never "jumped out". Very sturdy and stable. Also out of the way. Took all of about 30 minutes to make. I also could not figure out how to install a gun rack out of the way, but this works perfect. The bar is a Piece of electrical Conduit, measured the proper length, flattened the end in a vice, used two 1/4 inch self tapping sheetmetal screws on each end, and used four wheeler gun rack holders on bar. Painted to match...done. Really works good.

Jay

13. cooner

cooner New Member

just made a over head gun rack in about 15 minutes today. In my daihatsu there are already vented cuts in the top of roof by the door so i took a heavy duty bungy and and drilled a small hole in the metal between the door and the rearview mirror on both sides of mirror. Stretch the bungy tight and and through your gun up there. I just have a .22 up there but i think it fits just perfect and hardly any wiggle on the rifle , put the gun in a soft case and it is very sturdy. I was going to build me a metal rack up there but this was about a $3 gun rack solution and works great and the gun is fairly concealed since it is up by the visors.

14. High5

High5 New Member

i made one for mine that is made from some small square tubing (3/4" if i remember right). i just made it fit over the dash between the A pillars and then attached ATV gun holders to that. works like a charm and the ATV mounts have the rubber straps to help hold it in if it gets rough.

15. maryswells

maryswells Member

How about some photos.

16. High5

High5 New Member

i don't have any photo's of it right now and i leave mine at the farm where i hunt. i am going to go pick it up this weekend so i can bring it home to work on it. i'll try and get some photo's.

17. High5

High5 New Member

here is my rifle rack

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  18. maryswells

maryswells Member

Looks nice! I'll add one like it to my truck, that way I can carry 3 guns in cab. Two over head and one over dash, for that moment when you might need to access one quickly. Great idea!

19. Stuff99

this is hearsay, but apparently in sask, you cant have those, or atleast your rifle in there. something to do with they have to be out of sight, no advertising or something stupid.

20. High5

High5 New Member

it works great for me. i shoot left handed so i just take it out out the window it goes. i do a lot of shooting from the truck. we have lots of pigs and i go spotlighting them from my truck. as for the legality of it i only use my truck on my inlaws farm. the only other place it sees is here at my house a couple of times a year when i bring it home for maintenance. the gun rack works great.

21. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for posting the pics. I like it, and definatly a plus for you leftys. :D

22. h2onut

h2onut New Member

Well I guess in thinking inside the box, there is not a whole lot of lengthy spaces. I am thinking of making a vertical single rifle holder. I have over 48" from floor to ceiling in my 95 suzuki. This would be to the left of my stick shifter and radio and would not affect the passengers legs. Maybe some sort of a boot with a rubberized cam locking system. On mine there is sort of a natural place to do this. I don't mind screwing into the floor or sidewall under passenger seat for support. This would accomodate most of the rifles/shotguns I would want to carry.

23. quadzmoto

quadzmoto New Member

gun rack

I bought a set of atv clamp on gun racks. Drilled holes in the plastic dash and used nuts and washers to sandwich the plastic. I have the barrel pointed to the right so the gun sits perfectly over the raised dash. The rifle is as easy to get at as it was when it was in the passenger seat.
    Rob

24. lmnafc

lmnafc New Member

gun rack in a mini

one quick way of putting a gun rack in a mini is i took some foam rubber from a old matress and cut it to the shape of dash and cut out for gun and scope. it fits my shotgun and rifle and gun never moves, have been on some rough roads in my truck. just be shure to cut out for defroster vents if you want defroster to work.

25. Hullroad

Hullroad New Member

The some police cars have a shot gun mount that holds guns vertical like you mentioned.....Might do you good to peek into a few cruisers. No I do not get many rides in them......:D....Just worked on a few at the dealer ship

26. h2onut

h2onut New Member

From what I have found in the $60-$100 range you can find them from 3 different companies including Great Day, Big sky racks, and Kolpin all sold thru diff vendors and sites.

big sky makes an overhead mount for single or double here is a pic. [​IMG]

Kolpin makes a floor mount that will work. [​IMG]

27. native

native Member

Kolpin

I mounted my Kolpin hardcase gun boot to the outside rear window just pop the back off and get some venison:D