1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

reving its T!T's of when Cold [91 minicab' pics]

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab' started by cheepBeer, Nov 22, 2008.

1. cheepBeer

cheepBeer Member

I use this one for work on the land and looking after rental units, so I only dash here n there with supplies and my runs r short ... my Question is how do I turn down the choke/idle high because I don’t need it here in the desert and it hurts my ears to listen to the engine idle so high when cold. I can see two adjusting screws under the driver’s side seat and as we type the thing is warming up so I can go play with them. Or is it something else>?
    Thanks K
    [​IMG]

2. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

i would say just let it warm up...my mitsu take about 2 or 3 mins to warm up...i have a tach and it is not reving that high. all engines need to warm up even in desert:D

3. TetsuKuma

TetsuKuma Member

The warm-up circuit is tapped into the coolant system. As the coolant warms, the fast idle slows down. The auto choke closes when you slowly push on the gas pedal and let up (before starting). The choke can be adjusted but it seems to work better if set to almost be closed (3-4mm left open) and opens right up within 30 sec. of the start. The idle can be adjusted using the screw that is accessed from the rear of the carb. You have to take the rear bed cover off to get to it. I have found most of the mini trucks that I have been around seem to have the idle set much too high.

4. I seem to be having the same problem with my Mitz :eek:

RPM's just way too high upon startup and takes way too long to drop to normal :eek:

Thing is, the temp gauge takes forever to move :sly:

Until today, I've always thought it was kaput, but after 30 minutes of hard driving, the needle actually moved to 1/4 (whatever 1/4 is)

Coolant flows instantly, so I'm guessing the T-Stat has either been removed or is just stuck open :confused:

I figure it only makes sense that I fix that first before I go messing with the fast idle adjustment on the carb :eek:

5. Radar

Radar Member

I agree with snake eater. Mine also takes a while to get warm. I took mine out in 40 degree weather for a night ride and only got 1/4 hot. Thermastat must be out.
    might fix that sometime this week.

6. cheepBeer

cheepBeer Member

this could B iT

think i am going to try this.... I have to do something :eek::eek:

7. cheepBeer

cheepBeer Member

Yes u where right! I found the adjustment u have back off the 8mm lock nut and turn it clockwise with a 6mm or flat blade screw driver till u r happy. No body should b happy with a cold engine revving its TiTs off as it’s just doing damage. Just the right amount so it doesn’t bog down when setting off is enough. now back to my Beer:)
    [​IMG] :eek:[​IMG]:)

Timetripper likes this.
  8. cheepBeer

cheepBeer Member

:cool: been out 2 day shooting with the wife n mother-in-law..no I didnt shoot her, I actually get on with Grade"A" and the truck was Brill...4x4 and low RPM's and we picked up all the beer cans B4 we Left...:rolleyes: