Replacing valve cover gasket and ignition cables on Mitsubishi 4A30_Bravo U44

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab' started by MikeD, Jan 5, 2024.

1. MikeD

MikeD Member

Next on the list
    • I have a slow leak coming from the bottom side of the valve cover gasket.
    • I should probably try to adjust valves while I'm in there but I really don't want to mess anything up
    • I am going to replace the ignition wires while doing this repair since they are going to be accessible. They seem to be working fine but the boot was sort of separating from the cable when I last checked.
    Symptoms
    • Slow drip from the underside of valve cover
    • Smells since it drips on to the exhaust
    • Can see smoke if you look from underneath or though the transmission access cover
    • The bolts are loose. You can probably snug them up , clean, and check again. I did but it still appears to be slowly leaking.

• After receiving my new OEM gasket , I notice this sucker is thick and well made. I might just tighten down the bolts again and see if it holds up but I'm sure I will eventually need to replace it.

Parts needed

• OEM GASKET,ROCKER COVER - 1035B243
    • I ordered QTY 6 new OEM bolts with captive washer / lock washer -MF244826
      >> Until they showed up and I realized I only ordered 3 , DOH!

• Ignition cables - MD311397

Order update 1/18/2024
      • Partsouq is hands down the fastest place to order from but they don't always have what you need. They did have OEM gasket in stock so I ordered that and some aftermarket air filters. From Dubai to remote Montana it took 4 days and it's been really snowy out. Way to go FedEx Express
      • Amayama seems to have access to more parts but takes longer, few weeks usually

• All parts are on hand now I'm just waiting for warmer weather. Will update come spring time.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2024
  2. MikeD

MikeD Member

Update on ignition cables
    • Ordered MD311397
    • I thought they were going to be NGK-RC-ME89

• The cables came in a Mitsubishi parts bag BUT the cables were branded Yazaki.
      >> This appears to be a Japanese company and Amayama hasn't screwed me yet with knock-offs but this was kind of a surprise as I was hoping to see NGK branded parts.
    • Overall the quality seems fine but I was concerned with one thing

*** I noted that on the distributor side of these cables, the metal connector was exposed , maybe 1.2" of it of so. I'm not sure if this is normal or not since I haven't worked on a distributor in a while but I thought the rubber boot should cover these connections BUT maybe the way it sits in the distributor will protect the exposed metal. Normal? IDK

• I also noticed that on the NGK parts image it shows a 5th cable, not sure what that's about. I just received the 4 , one for each cylinder. Is there a fifth cable hiding somewhere? IDK

upload_2024-1-22_15-14-13.png

Last edited: Jan 22, 2024
  3. MikeD

MikeD Member

Does anyone know if this is normal, to have exposed metal on the distributor side of the cables ? I thought I could just slide the boot and adjust this but it's all pretty set in place. I'd check my current setup but it's under a tarp snowed in

upload_2024-1-22_15-13-20.png

4. Smokie

Smokie Member

Looks perfectly normal to me. After pushing the metal down into the distributor cap, just work the boots down and over the nipples on the cap. Maybe use a little silicone grease on the wire/boot to help it slide.

5. MikeD

MikeD Member

OK cool so they will sort of fit into the distributor and then the boot will cover it up, sweet. Thanks for the advice.