1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacing Stock Wheel Lugs?

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by SpikeFiend, Nov 15, 2011.

1. SpikeFiend

SpikeFiend Member

Has anyone here changed the stock wheel lugs on their Sambars? Any tips would be appreciated.

I managed to pick up a set of Honda VX rims. They look nice and are super light but, unbeknownst to me at the time, Honda (and Acura and BMW) use a relatively uncommon "ball seat" on their wheels (as opposed to the more typical cone seat). Note: The center bore of the VX rims is too small to fit on standard Sambar wheel hubs and will need to be machined (I had mine machined to 59.5mm bore)

I don't have an issue buying some new ball seat lug nuts (the old ones were getting a little rusted). However, because the ball seat style is so limited that ball seat lug nuts only come in a 12x1.5 thread, where the Sambar uses a 12x1.25 thread! :frustration:

I've seen a few places that sell "ball seat conversion washers" that adapt a cone lug nut to a ball seat, but the stock lugs are already pretty short and the alloy wheels are already thicker than the steelies...I might not have any thread engagement left after everything is said and done.

So my thought is to change the stock wheel lugs to a more common 12x1.5 thread (and a bit longer than stock as well), but I really have no clue where to start. I've seen a few youtube videos but these trucks seem to have the odd curve ball if you're not careful.

Thanks!

2. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

I've had Honda VX rims on my Hijet for almost 3 years and no issues using tapered lug-nuts ..I was going to taper the bolt holes if the tapered nuts didn't work out and haven't needed to do so....in my opinion the balled lug-nuts weren't necessary