1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

replacing rear shocks on a subaru sambar 1990

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by neller, Aug 20, 2013.

1. neller

neller Member

Any info. that I've read on rear shock removal and or replacement starts with... disconnect rear drive axles . Then carry on with the normal stuff. Jack truck, remove rear wheels, remove shocks, etc. Why do the rear drive axles need to be disconnected ? Thanks for any input ! Neller

2. SpikeFiend

SpikeFiend Member

Nope, all you have to do is remove the rear wheels. Then you have full access to the shocks. If you wanted to change the coil spring, you could probably do it using a spring compressor.

3. neller

neller Member

Thanks for the reply SpikeFiend ... the disconnect rear axles instruction didn't make much sense to me (although I'm not a mechanic) ,I just didn't want to unknowingly damage anything in the process ! Thank you again !! Neller

4. SpikeFiend

SpikeFiend Member

Let me know how it goes. I had one of the rear shocks off last weekend to replace my timing belt and it may as well not even be there...there was no resistance in it at all. I was thinking of replacing it with a Rancho RS5000 but it would come down to what fits more than anything.

5. Gary Simpson

Gary Simpson New Member

I’m told 85 Subaru Brat shocks will fit.

6. Maximal

Maximal Active Member

old thread but the misinformation in the repair manuals for these trucks is massive. for waterpump replacement my orange book has remove engine from truck as one of the first steps. if you swing the right rear shock out of the way by unbolting in the timing belt and waterpump is like 2hrs max working slowly lol