1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacing carburetor with Fuel injector

Discussion in 'References' started by Duke Selinium, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Duke Selinium

Duke Selinium New Member

Hello all,

I'm seeking advice from any mechanically inclined people there may be out there.

I have a 1989 Suzuki Carry with a carburetor. I get around 35 mpg which is disappointing for this light of a vehicle. I was wondering if anyone has ever tried converting over to fuel injection.

Technically speaking, could it be done? How difficult would it be? What problems might you run in to?

Tanks in advance,

Duke

2. mr.mindless

mr.mindless Member

The main problem would be there is no such thing as a throttle body injection setup for this small of a motor. If your complaint is economy you're never going to pay yourself back in fuel money for the time and effort spent modifying a TBI setup to work at a 550cc motor.

3. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

Search "Ecotrons" and "Megasquirt" for some info on converting there are units out there to do what you want. You might also look up "GoFastForLess" for some other info which you may utilize. There are probably more than I know about.

Fred

4. ttc

ttc Active Member

A lot of work and money... You could put the cost of a kit towards a fi model.

5. fmartin_gila

Just furnishing info he wanted. Each has to decide what to do & how to do for their circumstances.

Fred

6. $800 added to what I paid for my Hijet wouldn't get me close to a comparable FI truck. It would get rid of a carb that is hard to work on and tricky. It's only about twice the cost of a new carb and would eliminate lots of potential problems.

fmartin_gila likes this.
  7. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

I was told that system too!
    I am a moderator on the SnowmobileForum.Com
    And Arctic Cat has the 660 motor in there snowmobiles, the same basic motor!
    Not only do they offer it in EFI, They also have one that has a turbo!
    The basic non turbo efi motor puts out about 80 hp and the Turbo has 125!
    And in the Snowmobile world that just isn't enough hp! They go out to 250hp on a 1000cc triple Yamaha!

8. fmartin_gila

The 660 engine came in 2 flavors F6A & K6A. The F has a timing BELT with SOHC and the K has a timing CHAIN along with DOHC. Theywere a bit different in the bore & stroke so are complete different engine families. Don't know what would be in the 89 models, I have a 2002 and it has the K6A which I would also guess would be the engine used in the Artic Cat as it was also used in some Golf Course and Turf Management equipment. Toro and Jacobson come to mind without searching. Jacobson does have an engine manual and a parts lookup for the K6A and they do show the EFI parts but seem to me to be prohibitively expensive . You can buy the whole Ecotrons EFI setup for the same cost as a couple parts from Jacobson.

Fred

9. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

I was thinking doing the upgrade some day?
    But the Cat motor has a 30mm taper, or 33?

10. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

But speaking of upgrades, I have to ask?
    Is the Geo metro 1000cc motor possibly an upgrade for this truck?

11. fmartin_gila

In the past I owned a 1987 suzuki and 2 1996 Metros one Auto & one Manual. The Metro is a rebadged suzuki. As I remember, the 87 was carbed but the 96s were Throttle Body FI. I didn't have occasion to remove either engine or view the bell housing area so have no thoughts on that part. I would think that if you obtained ALL parts & wiring, you could make the system work on a 660. Keep in mind that the Metro was tilted over a little, it was nowhere near as far tilted over as the Carry engines( this is in consideration of relpacing the complete engine). Did you look up Ecotrons & megasquirt?

Fred

12. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

I have a coupla Metros and a coupla swifts too!
    I even have a coupla Swift GTI'S!
    But could you imagine, I am thinking of doing a body lift, I might have room to stand up a metro 1000cc EFI? Is it Possible?

13. fmartin_gila

Sounds like you have all you need to really pep up the little pickup. Don't have any idea how much body lift would be required. Not so sure that the frame rails go all the way to the front of the vehicle or if the front half is Unibody construction. Would be a very interesting swap if you decide to do it.

Fred

14. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

Oh I have no intention of doing that to this Suzuki!
    But if I could find one with a bad motor I would!