1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Removing the gas tank on a 1998 Sambar pickup non-Sc

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by JTT3, Jul 31, 2020 at 6:20 PM.

1. JTT3

JTT3 New Member

So on another thread our first project was to clean the cooling system which was successful however project 2 “REMOVING THE COOLING FAN” has stumped us for now. We need some advice on that.HELP!
    Project 3 was our next go to! Removing the gas tank to clean and repair the sending unit for the gauge to work. This turned out pretty simple 4 12mm bolts on the tank, 5 retaining bolts 8mm plus removal of 4 hoses and the fill hose. Two wires unclipped from the sending unit and removing the brackets holding the lines coming from the front of the Sambar. The tank pulls out from the back. Be careful when removing, you will have gas come out from the return / pickup pan that is integral inside the tank, about a couple of gallons will drain out of the outlet for the hose going to the fuel pump. We siphoned out about 3 gallons prior to removing thinking we had it all but surprise surprise surprise. We didn’t know about the pan inside the tank. I know that it would have been easier if we disconnected the fuel line to the engine and attached a hose to the Fuel pump and pumped it into a container but we were afraid not knowing how bad the stuff in the tank was and didn’t want to burn up the pump. I’m glad we didn’t pump it out now that I know the amount of junk that was in it. If you’ve priced one you’ll understand.
    So the tanks out, removed the sending unit to find the funk from a thousand years had caked on to the unit and the float was stuck. Freaked out a bit because I could even find the unit for sale. And didn’t know what ohms it was for the gauge. Luckily had a gallon of AWESOME and soaked it in the solution. Cutting through the chase, it cleaned up nicely after disassembly and check out as good on the meter. So you’ll know on this unit the ohms are 0-130 in case you ever need a sending unit.
    Took the tank and pressure washed the outside and in side. Used an extra long nozzle to clean the inside going through the filler opening and the sending unit opening. That’s when we discover the integral pan inside. Clean as much as possible then inspected using a scope camera. Clean some more then
    plugged all the inlets & outlets with the exception of the sending unit orifice filled with 2 gallons of AWESOME and then water to the top. We’re letting it set for a few days and we will clean again. The paint on the tank was pretty good actually especially on the top as you’d expect but we will epoxy paint it while it’s out. We will brush that on. I’ll update you as the saga continues. Thanks forum, John

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020 at 9:18 AM
    Limestone likes this.
  2. I had an extra tank and took mine in to get cleaned and coated. The original tank was so full of rust and crud I decided not to use it. I hear ya on the extra gas lol.

3. Reese Allen

Reese Allen Member

Great info. I hope I never have to drop my tank.