1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Removing speed limiter/governor

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by Baca's Daihatsu, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Baca's Daihatsu

Baca's Daihatsu New Member

I own a 1993 Daihtsu Hijet Jumbo. I'm looking to remove anything that might limit my truck from going higher speeds. From what I read, I have two problems: an electronic governor and a clip in the transfer case.

I took a plate with 4 bolts off from the left side of what I think is the transfer case. There was nothing but gears in there, no clip. My biggest question is "how do I find and deal with this clip?" I would appreciate any help (along with pictures) that I can get. Thank you!

2. WakeWorld

WakeWorld New Member

3. Jesse MJG

Jesse MJG New Member

I am looking to purchase a 1993 Hijet - just wondering first whether i should be thinking about removing the governor.

I've looked online and found a bunch of different answers but - how fast do these things actually go before removing the governor?

4. Koffer

Koffer Active Member

50+ mph

5. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

In the USA: The ones imported directly as offroad landscape vehicles had the clip to prevent shifting into high range, and the sensor on the speedometer cable at the transmission.

Vehicles imported as used vehicles, less than twenty-five years old, had to have the speed regulated to twenty five mph. The method was up to the importer.. All kinds of different methods were used, and reported in threads here: Speed sensors at the speedometer cable which signaled a black box under the dash, and cut power to the engine and/or the fuel pump; Physical plates were sometimes welded on which restricted the shifter.

So, depending on when and how it was imported there were a myriad of different methods used.

If it is a 93, it may have no speed limiter installed. My 94 was a couple of years shy of the 25-years when imported, and I have never noticed any form of speed limiting. “0 to 60-mph - eventually”

6. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

If you will look about 3 or 4 threads down from yours you will find another thread on this same subject that has quite a bit of information.

Limestone likes this.