1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Relocated steering wheel

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by ttc, Jun 29, 2015.

1. ttc

ttc Active Member

Well to get some extra leg room last week I removed the upper mount point on the steering column and removed some material. This resulted in moving the wheel ahead and up some. Now I can get my left leg in the truck much easier

2. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

Interesting. Got any pictures of the mod?

3. ttc

ttc Active Member

Have some on my phone just need to upload them to photobucket. On my days off from work.

4. ttc

ttc Active Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tony Evers likes this.
  5. ttc

ttc Active Member

the wheel was probably lower than in the picture where it shows 8 1/2 ish because when i tacked in the upper mount i moved the whole thing up as the lower mount is slotted . also the lower yoke for the ujoint has a large area where the shaft is cut away for the bolt to pass by.

6. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

So how many inches did you raise it?

7. ttc

ttc Active Member

3/4 of an inch or more plus ahead about 1/2 inch. Didn't measure the distance between the wheel and the seat back.

8. ttc

ttc Active Member

I can actually put my foot in the truck and get my leg under the wheel. A big difference in how easy it is to get in and out of the truck

9. Inane2

Inane2 Member

Thanks for sharing. Very interesting indeed.

I've got this little routine I use when I get in / out of my truck that centers around the steering wheel position.

Martin Fornage likes this.
  10. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Nice! I'm going to have to explore this.

11. antfarmer

antfarmer Member

Or you could just get a steering wheel with a smaller diameter..... or cut off the bottom of the steering wheel.
    Old hot rods used to have little 10" steering wheels, some made from welded chain. Just saying.

12. ttc

ttc Active Member

With no power steering and using my truck as a work truck I would not put on a smaller steering wheel and loose mechanical advantage. Plus mine is registered, inspected and insured for my province. So I am legal to go anywhere

13. dale hynes

dale hynes Member

Take a look at a jumbo cab to see if the steering set up is different than a regular cab. Iā€™m 6ā€2ā€™ and I can fit in the jumbo cab with muck boots on and not have a problem getting my left foot around the steering column.