1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reasonably priced hid lights....anyone anyone.. Bueller?

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by Shrimp Daddy, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Shrimp Daddy

Shrimp Daddy Member

I'm combing other forums and googleing for inexpensive hid lights. Yea I know.. expensive. But I think the less amperage usage out weighs the cost... At least until I can strap on a GM alternator.

Here is some info I found.
    1. from the forum www.rhinoforums.net
    7" Off Road HID Light Part Number: 99000CSK at $119.00 each.
    http://www.partsamerica.com/product_images/img/csm/99000csk.jpg

www.hidfoglight.com has them for $109/ea and $189/pair.

Below is a picture or link.. (don't know how it is going to post) of a set of 4 fuego 4" hid lights compared to stock on a rino. At $300/ea. I'll have to rule them out.

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q108/mr_offroad/HID Lights/hidnight024.jpg

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q108/mr_offroad/HID Lights/hidnight027.jpg

Hoping the pictures shown up. Guess I'll have to save and upload from computer next time to get it to show in thread.

Has anyone put hid bulbs into the replacement socket on their off road lights?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  2. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

This is possible but... true HID lights use a ballast system. So you will need the bulb and have to wire a ballast for each light. Beware of the imitation HID's (HID look/color) that some sell that don't use ballasts. If the price is to good to be true, it probably is.

-Greg

3. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

4. Shrimp Daddy

Shrimp Daddy Member

I think the first lights I mentioned said the ballast was built into the light. If it goes bad, can you replace the ballast, the bulb...., I don't know.. will have to check it out. Many hid replacement bulbs kits have ballast separate and look to be the size of a dead mule. You have to find a hiding spot for them. Hid would be nice since they advertise as drawing about 3 watts. I would guess then you would negate the need for a relay.

5. cmaranto

cmaranto Member

Cheap HID's

Contact Harold @ superatv.com. He has some super prices on HIDS

6. Shrimp Daddy

Shrimp Daddy Member

While we are on FAQ's ... Here is one on hid and lumens I also found.

Seems just like mini trucks; the more you are interested, the deeper the info takes you. After a while, your overloaded and have to come up for air. Take a deep breath, make a list and figure out just what you want and then dive in to the information again.

7. bajadb

bajadb New Member

HID Lights

Kragen auto parts 4" HID for 99$ and 7" HId for 119$. Real HID and durable. I have alot of friends running them on hard core off road vehicles. VERY Bright. Can order them on line or through the stores..... I think kragen is also checker... Hope this helps for a first post here....:)

8. b_eastep

b_eastep Member

are you wanting to replace your stock headlights with HID or some aftermarket offroads?

9. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

although i have nothing useful to add to the post, i love the reference.... bueller??? :D

10. Shrimp Daddy

Shrimp Daddy Member

Milt....I'm LOL.

b eastep....I will install extra lights to mount on the fake headache rack and to mount in the front bumper holes of the Suzi.

cmaranto... I like the lights from superatv.com

Thanks for the info guys.

11. b_eastep

b_eastep Member

you can find cheap hid conversions on ebay. i paid somewhere around $80 for the conversion for my kawasaki Z-1000. its a dual bulb system with dual ballasts. real simple to wire up. it was a H-7 type bulb but they sell conversions for all style bulbs. you just have to remember that they are only a single fillament style bulb. so you wont have hi and low beam, only one beam if your installing in your headlights. my kawa is a 2 bulb system with the only diff being the reflector. so i still have hi and low.
    so my suggestion is look around on ebay for some conversion kits you like with a warrenty and small ballasts. my ballasts were very small, in fact small enough to hide behind my cowl. find some that will convert a H-3 or H-4 or whatever bulb and then go and buy cheapo lights that use that same style bulb. convert them over and "bingo", cheap HID's for around $100. and let me tell you the HID light is so much better. and they seem to hold up well. my Z-1000 likes to pull the front end off the ground quite often and if it dont blow a bulb while landing then you shouldnt while just driving around.

12. KIMMER

KIMMER New Member

Yep, check ebay. There are car kits that you choose the color and bulb and they come with the ballasts. The guys on the polaris ranger forums have been using them for a year or so and pay around $65 for true hid. I always say i'm going to buy them, but keep finding other stuff I need more.

13. b_eastep

b_eastep Member

you wont regret buying them. after i put them on my bike i want them on everything. its unbelievable how bad regular lights are once you use HID. and my opinion is get the 5K or 6K ones. the kelvin rating is the temp or color of the light, not how bright they are. 5K is about the closest to true sunlight.