1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear lift kit, right way.

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks' started by volkswagen50, Apr 27, 2008.

1. volkswagen50

volkswagen50 Member

Alright, first things first. My truck, a 93 mitsu, came with a add-a-leaf 3" lift kit in the back. I wasn't thrilled about it, but it was there and done, so I went with it. The rear was very stiff with them. There was zero droop and very little articulation, maybe an inch or two tops. So when I came to a angled ditch, one tire went in the air and spun. No movement forward like that! Lots of guys run the shackle kits. i haven't run one of those, so I have no opinion at all.
    This weekend i fixed my truck by ditching the add-a-leaf and going to a 2.5" liftblock I got from Summit. I made sure it was tapered to kick up the pinion angle. When the seller did the previous lift, he left the stock shocks on. They were completely extended and would not droop at all. This was also a cause of bad articulation. I installed a set of Monroe #32164 shocks. They are stiff enough to push the axle down when going over rough stuff. Make sure you save your washers, the shocks come without any. Also make sure you put the ones with the larger holes on first, so the shock body doesn't hit the u-bolt plate.
    The lift blocks needed to have the locating pin ground down in height and diameter. I used a angle grinder and a good quality wheel to do it quick. I also needed to to grind in some grooves on the side of the block for the u-bolts to pass through. That was very easy to do and worked out fine. I had the u-bolts made by a local heavy truck spring shop and I didn't check them too close when I got them. He bent them for a larger diameter axle tube than the truck came with. I was able to use them by tightening them, then tapping the sides by the bend with a hammer while they were under tension. Watch out for the brake line! A few times like that and they came in enough where I was comfortable.
    Now the spring is just like stock, I got good lift, and most importantly I didn't pickup a wheel in the back all weekend.

2. Archer-Andy

Archer-Andy Member

Do you have the ability to post some pictures to go with what you have described? I would love to see it. The truck that I have does the same thing with the add-a-leaf type rear lift. I would like to fix this same issue with my 99' Suzuki. A visual reference would help clear things up considerably. Thanks for sharing your tip.
    - Andrew

3. volkswagen50

volkswagen50 Member

I'll try to get some pics in the next day or two and post them here. Not a problem, greg