1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear facing Seat in Bed

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks' started by erixun, Jun 27, 2010.

1. erixun

erixun Member

I just finished installing a rear facing seat in the bed of my truck. I needed a extra seat so I could pile in the kiddies if we needed to. But I also wanted to still have engine access, and be removable if need be. I know they make some rumble seat things, and some of them are quick disconnect, but the one I saw at the store left alot to be desired, like a seat that an ADULT can fit on if need be.

So I purchased a new rear replacement seat for a Jeep Wrangler, it came with the front two mounts and a plate with a loop on it for the spring loaded latch on the rear. It is canted towards the rear, and is comfortable. I also purchased after market seat belts that came with mounting hardware and instructions. I then got a 2" angle iron and some flat steel for reinforcing of the bed steel.

The seat is not the biggest that will fit, I think you might be able to get a fullsize Blazer or Bronco seat back there, but I plan on adding some metal boxes on each side for arm rests, cup holders, and weather proof storage. I also like how low the seat sits in the bed, it does not feel like you are going to fall out when you make a turn.

To gain engine access you simply pull a spring loaded catch lever and it rolls forward. It is bolted in, so it is not as fast as pinned quick disconnects to remove totally, but feels tighter/solid and does not rattle, and still gives some engine access with out being removed.

Forgive my paint job, I am also painting all the corners and other exposed metal areas before applying camo clad. I am also planning on spraying in a bed liner on just the floor of the bed.

Total cost: $193.53
    Seat and 2 seat belts; $162.89 shipped-Amazon (I think the seat has gone up by $30+ in the past two weeks, the seat belts were $12.89 each and I paid $137 for the seat.)
    Bolts, washers, etc. $7.34
    2" angle iron- $15.80
    1.25" flat steel- $7.50

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
    Trey 4x4 likes this.
  2. erixun

erixun Member

Some more pics

Some more pictures...of the seat installed, the seat belt brackets, and the metal "ammo" can I am thinking of mounting on each side for more secure storage... Also a picture of the area behind the seat, you could stuff a sleeping bag, or coats behind the seat.

Attached Files:

3. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

Neat..good job...is it street legal to have passengers in the rear?? I used to love riding in the back of trucks..kinda miss it

4. erixun

erixun Member

Believe it or not in Utah it is still legal to ride in the back of a pickup! Even without seatbelts! Remember the Subaru Brat? It had two rear facing seats with ski pole type "OH SH*T" handles. Maybe I need some of those.....

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  5. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

I really like it!.. Love riding in the back of a pickup too! Thanks for the post!

6. tob

tob Member

Really nice job of installation and looks good as well

7. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

looks great! wonder if that law is in sask :D

8. SaskCarry

SaskCarry Member

I put one in my Carry. I got an old school bus seat for free from a neighbour, cut the legs off it so it fits right under the lower cross-member of the headache rack, fastened UHMW vinyl skids (recycled sawmill chain run) to the bottom to protect the box, strapped it in and it's a go. Cost me maybe $2.50 for the strap. I'll figure a way to bolt/quick-fasten it in someday, probably. In my former Carry, I had bolted the bus seat in with the legs on but it blocked my rear window and the passengers were too high up and felt unsecured. This low config is much safer and more comfortable.